Air Travel & Skiing with the Pump

Hi All,

I noticed that the ADA, on their website, is recommending that pump users disconnect their pumps prior to takeoff, prime their pumps to remove air bubbles when the plane is at cruising altitude and repeat the procedure once the plane has landed.

Is this really necessary?

Detailed information can be found here and here

I’m a pump newbie, with only 5 months experience. I’ve been skiing since 1976, taking insulin via injections. This is going to be my first winter skiing with the pump.

I was wondering if anyone has experience skiing at high altitudes (over 10,000 feet), while on the pump. I just got off the phone with Animas tech support and was told that pump is only certified up to 10,000 feet.

Where do you keep your pump when skiing? I was thinking of putting it in a small camera type bag (link), which I would wear around my neck under my thermals. I was also thinking of clipping it inside my thermals on my waist. I’m fearful that the pump would get in the way if it is anywhere near my waist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Wow - Thanks for this Dave. I travel a ton and don’t follow these suggestions tho I will try for sure.

As for the where to put your pump I have a clip that I clip to my underpants and then the thermals keep it in place and all the other extra layers secure it - It hardly moves.

good luck!

Thanks for the quick response Jodi.

I wear a fanny pack (circa 1977) when I ski. I’m afraid that if I clip it inside my thermals, it would get in the way of the fanny pack strap.

Has the pump presented any problems when you fall on your side or on your rump?

Dave

hey Dave, I don’t ski, so no help there…

for flying I was also wondering about disconnecting. I never have before. My flight is quite short, an hour from gate to gate, we’re at cruising altitude for like 10 minutes. I’ll probably stay connected and then check for bubbles after we land

Donna,

I called Animas tech support and asked them about flying with the pump. The Animas rep stated that the vent on the pump adjacent to where the cartridge goes, is designed to take care of pressure changes one may experience on an aircraft. I believe that the air pressure in a plane at cruising altitudes is equivalent to the pressure at an elevation of 8500 feet.

I’ve flown with the Dexcom CGM and it works well on a plane. I’ll keep a close eye on it when I’m flying, and after I land.

Dave

thanks Dave that makes sense I guess

I fly this afternoon…if I can get online later I’ll let you know what I experience :slight_smile:

Donna,
I have been on the pump for 18 years next week and have been flying with it for the same amount of time. I have never disconnected my pump or reprimed it and it has always worked out. My only issue was time change and I devided that up into 3days going slow the day before travel / day of / and day after. I've also made the experience that TSA in general are willing to listen and/or well informed. Sometimes you get the occational idiot but hey. Can't help that. :) Hope you had a good flights with stable sugars.