Disconnect during take off and landing?

I think I’ve read that people disconnect their tubed pumps during take off and landing due to pressure changes on a plane - might result in over-delivery of insulin. That was never an option w OmniPod, so something we never did and there never seemed to be a consequence. I’m wondering if anyone does this??

I have never done that. Has the pump company or FDA posted a warning?

1 Like

I have never done it either.

1 Like

Not that I’m aware. It’s a memory I have of something I came across years ago that I just remembered as we are nearing Caleb’s trip overseas. Thanks for letting me know your experiences, @Jim26 and @auntlisa1103.

1 Like

I had a pod failure during landing. Pods rarely ever fail for me. I don’t think that this was a coincidence. Still no reason to be alarmed. Since I started using the pod I had about 50 landings without a hitch.

1 Like

I fly several times a year and have never disconnected in over ten years of pumping. I’ve never had any noticable issues.

3 Likes

Yes, apparently some excess insulin may be delivered during ascent, and less insulin may be delivered during descent, as discussed in the paper:Changes in Altitude Cause Unintended Insulin Delivery From Insulin Pumps.

I’ve traveled a lot. have never paid any attention to this issue, and have not noticed anything beyond what could be attributed any number of other factors that contribute to bg variability.

1 Like

I also read an article about how often people had lows when heading to baggage claim. And I always put it at the joys and stress of vacations. After reading that article, i wondered. So my last flight, I did disconnect and I watched my connector to see if any insulin was being pushed out. And while there was a little, I don’t know how much of difference it would have made but for those who are very sensitive it might. And as we are all our own little experiment, put your infusion set in a place you can get to and see what happens. Be interested in seeing if anyone has seen some major insulin coming out during the pressure changes.

1 Like

I have never disconnected. Never noticed any issues.

2 Likes

I don’t disconnect. As far as where you heard about a potential issue, you might have been recalling this discussion from a few years back:

1 Like

I have never disconnected or had unexplained lows.

1 Like

Interesting – thanks for the reference. I had not read it and, if anything, my experience with air travel is the opposite. I tend to go a little high on a regular basis when flying, so I actually up my basal. Certainly have never thought of disconnecting.

1 Like

I’ve flown several times with both the Omnipod and Medtronic pumps and don’t recall any issue with either. I probably needed more insulin for the airplane food anyway!

1 Like

Nope, I don’t disconnect, and I fly at least 8-9 times a month, often more.
It might possibly be more of an issue for infants and small kids on very low total daily doses, or the extremely insulin sensitive.
I spend more time avoiding “gas creating” foods. A gut full of gas at altitude is not fun!

1 Like

Interesting conversation,. I have yet to fly with my insulin pump, but wouldn’t if a person was concerned suspending their pump during take off and landing be much easier than disconnecting and essentially be doing the same thing? I know I personally would just be mindful there could be changes, but I’m not fooling around with disconnecting and then reconnecting. Too much to mess with for a short amount of time.

The way I understand the problem is it’s all about pressure changes. So while the pump will not register any insulin being delivered, due to the pressure changes to balance the pressure insulin may be pushed out of the tubing. Again, this is all speculation and while I did see just a little when I disconnected it sure didn’t seem like a lot. So putting it in suspend wouldn’t solve is “problem” if it is a real problem for people.

1 Like

Seems like you are asking about tubed pumps, but the very first time I flew with an Omnipod I had an unexpected low shortly after landing (was well outside of bolus window). After a little digging (may have even been the same article linked above) and reading up on pressure changes etc, I’ve always turned off the background basal during take off and landing. Not sure if was related to the flight or maybe it was just a fluke, but haven’t experienced it again.

1 Like

I’ve had hypos upon landing a few times. Then I heard aobut the suggestion to disconnect during takeoff and landing. I’ve started to do that and haven’thad any hypos post-landing ever since. I figure why not be cautious. It happened before with both Animas and Tandem pumps. I am very insulin sensitive,so it doesn’t take much unintended insulin send things south for me. I’d rather err on the side of caution and it isn’treally thatmuch of a big deal to disconnect.

1 Like

Was million mile flyer for British Air, United, Qantas and top flyer on Southwest (2 yrs in a row) and never did it. Flown around the world more times than I can count, and never ran into an issue with pressure.

He landed in Paris. He went low while in flight and is rising inexplicably after landing. Could be anything, but certainly makes me think.