Albuterol & Type 1

I am a generally well-controlled T1 on MDI. One of my medical hobbies is severe asthma. I have been battling a head and chest cold for more than 4 weeks. I visited my pulmonologist twice last week (which was very helpful and have just finished a course of antibiotics. Am currently taking Mucinex, Sudafed and Robitussin with codeine (sugar free) as a result of discovering something called syncope (symptoms - cough a few times and pass out / fall down on the floor).

Anyway he said that the cold was exacerbating/advancing the asthma and gave me a nebulizer and a script for Ipratropium Bromide and Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation Solution (twice daily). Yesterday morning after the using the nebulizer my BG spiked to 494. I haven't seen a number like that since I took the SATs! I almost badly overshot when I was using a bolus regimen to pound that number back down (frightening).

The internet says that Albuterol is not a steroid. Could Albuterol be a factor in the very high BG??

". . .haven't seen a number like that since I took the SATs!" ROFLMAO!

Turning serious: Could Albuterol have something to do with that high? I'm not qualified to even express an opinion on that, but your PCP or Endo certainly is and you need to ask them, ASAP! Was this a one-off, or does it happen every time?

Repeated the dose today and been monitoring every hour - no spike today - stayed in the range 89 - 108 so far.

I have used Albuterol and have not seen that kind of a reaction. Currently use Advair and Ventolin without issue.