An interesting take on Robin Williams's death

An interesting article that reflects on culture and society.

Hollywood's illness stigma

John Wayne, a man's man, had one lung after 1964, and carried an oxygen tank with him on sets. President Kennedy struggled with and covered up his Addison's disease.

Now in 2014, although we've changed in many ways, in many we haven't as a culture.

I'm curious as to why we haven't. People are more open about everything than ever, yet why haven't we seemed to change on this? And as those with the diseases, how much do our own fears, attitudes, etc influence culture.

It struck me when seeing Robin Williams ( and I realize this may sound like Monday morning psycho-analyzing) when he quit laughing, how profoundly sad he looked.

Hi D Dad, I always felt the same about Robin Williams. Robin Williams was someone a lot of people could relate to - possibly because we all could see that fragility, that genuine vulnerability in those moments after the laugh. There was an honesty, a sincerity there in his presence that spoke volumes ... and captured our hearts in that moment of true "being." How lucky he was to have caused so many of us to love him for that. I think his impact now is greater because we as a society are becoming more tolerant, more apt to embrace each other, and more aware.

I DO believe that we as a culture, including the "Hollywood illness stigma" is changing. There have been many strides in just the last few years that have been accelerated by our tolerance and our seemingly growing acknowledgement that physical and mental illnesses are not saved for Hollywood or charitable telethons, etc. We are all affected.

I see people not being afraid to acknowledge that they understand, that they accept. I see people inspired by knowing they are not alone in their grieving for the loss of someone, Robin Williams, who touched so many across many invisible divides we perceive between us.

I could go on, but I'll sound so redundant! Sadness is something we all share. The desire to experience elated and happy moments we share, too. The loss of someone who showed us by example (acted, real) does solidify us to an important degree. Baby steps are important. Baby steps are significant.

Those are my thoughts, D-Dad.

:) Julie Ann