Another Guardian Sensor Question

I’ve almost got this thing mastered I promise. (ha) I’m trying to figure out why in the world the 670g has a reminder to change your sets but then the Guardian sensors will die without warning at 2:00 a.m.? Am I expecting too much from Medtronic once again or is this really how they programmed this? Any workarounds would be appreciated as it definately causes lack of sleep without a warning like Dexcom.

1 Like

The transmitter is hard baked to last a 7 day operation period. The sensor operates independently of the operation of the sensor. The sensor will last up to seven days they typically work between 5 and 7 days. I change mine at six days.

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things about Medtronic devices or the company. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

How do you remember to change it? I’m spoiled as a previous Dexcom user. I do however find it considerate that a set change reminder is in place.

You can watch the sensor life under “status”, then “sensor”. Before you go into “sensor”, a glance at the screen will show you how many days… but into the “sensor” setting shows you how many days, hours, minutes left.

As for a reminder to change, I’ve have to use a reminder on my phone :neutral_face:

Grrr, I miss the reminders. Oh well if that’s all I’ve got to complain about the system for now I’ll take it.

I normally change my infusion set after my shower before bed. In order to keep this schedule time consistent, I set the Low Reservoir alert to the maximum amount I would ever use in a day (in my case 50, but it may be more or less for some people) so that I have a full day warning. This usually means 3 days, which is about half the lifetime of a sensor, so I just change the sensor every other time I change the infusion set. Sure, there may be occasional times when one or the other needs changed unexpectedly, but that will be true with any pump or CGM. This has worked great for me because it lets me do everything at the same time.

Nice suggestions.