Anti-depressants and BG

I've been struggling with depression and a high level of stress in my personal and professional life for awhile and I think it's time to try medication. My concern is that I don't know how psych meds are likely to impact BG. I am already pretty insulin resistant (due to PCOS), so I don't want to take any meds that cause high BGs and necessitate taking more insulin. I tried looking online for info about psych meds and BG, but I couldn't find much. Anyone have any information or experience with this?

I tried anti-depressants when I had severe back pain. I was told it "greys" out pain. It also "greyed" me out. My world went from color to black and white. In the end, I preferred the pain. I would definitely not recommend staying on anti-depressants for an extended period of time. Relaxation and regular exercise are the natural way to fight depression. Have you thought about yoga?

Sorry if this sounded like a lecture. In this western culture our stress levels can easily go off the scale especially if you are in high-pressure job. As diabetics we are very vulnerable to it.

I don't have the answer to your question, Rennie, but I'm sure someone will provide it soon. But, "relaxation and regular exercise" may help people with a sub-clinical depression, but Major Depressive Disorder is a biological and chemical condition, that is way more difficult to overcome than just "the blues". Most commonly it needs a biological and chemical treatment. This treatment along with therapy can make dramatic changes in the life of someone suffering from Depression. If the person learns better coping skills or their life becomes less both less stressful and more rewarding, then perhaps they can discontinue the meds.

Hi Howie767, I hear you about the dulling effects of some anti-depressants, but for me, there have been times (prior to my dx) when medication has been helpful in recovering from an episode of depression, and that's what I'm considering now. I already exercise, do yoga regularly, and relax whenever I can. I agree that these should be the first strategies to try, and I wish it were enough, but right now, it isn't. I'm sorry to hear about your back pain- I hope you are feeling okay these days.

I have a history of clinical depression in my family and personally have taken antidepressants for the last 2 decades. I've never found them to do anything to my blood sugar. In fact, as the depression improves, your bg control may improve because you feel more like taking care of yourself.

Thanks, Zoe! My own assessment, for what it's worth, is that I'm going through a crisis rather than clinical depression, due to the break-up of a 14-year relationship, job insecurity, precarious finances, and my dx of T1 and PCOS all in the same year. I'm already calling on all my resources to get through each day and I'm thinking about adding medication as an additional resource.

Thanks for sharing, Kathy- this is a relief to hear. I was worried because it seems like so many meds have an effect on BG, and I don't necessarily expect a psychiatrist to know that much about D.

I go with Kathy. I take Wellbutrin. It is low key, but makes me feel better. It has never had any effect on my glucose readings at all. It also really helped me feel better....

I take a very small dose of prozac 10mg (pediatric dose), have been on it for almost 4 years absolutely NO side effects but it works for my anxiety.

That is a wonderful perspective on this. The more and more I read about psychiatric meds like anti-depressants, the more I feel like they are actually very dangerous. My real concern is that there is actually weak science behind these drugs and often they mess with things so much that you end up only feeling good if you continue taking the drug. The drugs themselves ending up being the cause of the problem. I really like your suggestion to try to address things naturally and only turn to medication as a last resort.