Anxiety and diabetes

Hi there Type 2 diabetes for 20 years currently on 26 units of Tresiba and a 100 mg of Januvia.

I have had a couple episodes of low blood sugars after dosing various insulins at 1st it was lantus and now Treciba.

For example this morning my fasting blood sugar was 182, took Tresiba and about half an hour later I felt a wave of panic which feels like a low blood sugar is coming on so when I tested I had troubles getting blood on the strip, the strip wasn’t giving me a Glucose reading so I pulled an old meter and got it to work and it tested at 76.

Panic. Called 911, I’m by myself, taking in sugar. More testing with current meter and all looks normal, back to the 180s. Cancel 911. But of course sugar goes high. But, I spend so much time trying to figure out what happened it drives me nuts. Was it a faulty strip? Was it that my hands were shaking so badly I couldn’t get enough blood on it?

I’m waiting for my dexcom script to be filled. I know that will help.

My question is how do I get over this fear of injecting insulin, or just fear in general? It’s not healthy.

Just looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Did you take Tresiba, a long-acting insulin, in response to that high fasting glucose number? I don’t know how much training you’ve had with insulin, so please pardon me if say something that is obvious to you. Tresiba’s onset takes between 1-4 hours after injection. It has no measurable peak and lasts about 42 hours. It is not meant to correct high glucose numbers like your fasting 182.

For people who have lived with high BGs for a time, a relative reduction from a high number to smaller high number can feel like a hypoglycemic event. This is well established in the medical literature.

How did you take the Tresiba? Did you use an insulin pen? Was there any blood when you injected or any unusual pain? It is possible, but not likely, to inadvertently deliver an insulin dose into a blood vessel and greatly shorten its onset of action.

Is your feeling of panic something that happens from time to time or is this incident unique?

A glucose reading of 76 mg/dL (4.2) is not hypoglycemic and if accurate could feel hypoglycemic if you’ve dropped from a much higher level and that higher level is where your body is accustomed.

Going high after all this stress makes sense but is no fun, for sure.

I suggest that you seek professional counseling about your fear issue with insulin, if you can. Your effort to secure a CGM can help you a lot but could exacerbate your fears, so addressing those fears is fundamental to solving this problem. Alternately, a CGM might calm your fears and give you the knowledge necessary to diffuse the fear.

This problem is solvable and you can do it. You’ll likely need the help of a counselor but you will overcome this fear if you persist. Good luck!

4 Likes

I understand your anxiety.
I had bad anxiety before I got cgm.
I learned to not over react over the years.

Like eating too much to overcome a low.

However a76. That’s perfect range in my opinion, depends on the direction it’s headed. But I know people who are used to high sugars , a76 can feel low.

I agree with the previous advice, you could do with some real time in person insulin training.

Taking too much long acting can cause you to run low for many hours.

Your long acting should be taken once or twice a day and that’s it.

If it’s not enough you will need short acting, but all insulin is inherently dangerous and you need to be careful and measured about it.

Lots of insurance companies offer free insulin training classes with a nurse or dietician. You might really like what you can learn from that. It will ease your anxiety and get you better control

Hi Terrym thanks for your reply. I will answer your questions…

Did you take Tresiba, a long-acting insulin, in response to that high fasting glucose number? I don’t know how much training you’ve had with insulin, so please pardon me if say something that is obvious to you. Tresiba’s onset takes between 1-4 hours after injection. It has no measurable peak and lasts about 42 hours. It is not meant to correct high glucose numbers like your fasting 182.

----I have been taking 26units of Tresiba for approximately a year now.

For people who have lived with high BGs for a time, a relative reduction from a high number to smaller high number can feel like a hypoglycemic event. This is well established in the medical literature.

How did you take the Tresiba? Did you use an insulin pen? Was there any blood when you injected or any unusual pain. It is possible to inadvertently deliver an insulin dose into a blood vessel and greatly shorten its onset of action.

----I use an insulin pen. There was not blood or pain. That has happened before where there was blood and a considerable drop but not this time. Currently I used a 4mm pen needle. From what I understand this is quite small. I am overweight so lots of fat in the belly area.

Is your feeling of panic something that happens from time to time or is this incident unique?

----I feel very anxious in the morning when it’s time to take the Tresiba. Just because I’ve had a couple other incidents. But, truth be told, I am becoming more and more anxious, what with all that’s happening. Have an appointment scheduled with a therapist next week.

A glucose reading of 76 mg/dL (4.2) is not hypoglycemic and if accurate could feel hypoglycemic if you’ve dropped from a much higher level and that higher level is where your body is accustomed.

----I understand. But, that’s a pretty large drop, the anxiety comes from not know how much faster it’s going to be dropping. Pretty sure it was a faulty strip or collection because all subsequent testing after the 76 was right back close to the 182, but did increase after ingesting the sugar to come back from the 76, which may not have been a true reading. Honestly, panic takes over. I’m not proud.

Going high after all this stress makes sense but is no fun, for sure.

I suggest that you seek professional counseling about your fear issue with insulin, if you can. Your effort to secure a CGM can help you a lot but could exacerbate your fears, so addressing those fears is fundamental to solving this problem.

—Getting a CGM hopefully tomorrow. I’ve worn a Dexcom before but got away from it. This would have been very helpful today. But, at the same time, I have troubles trusting the Dex sometimes, too. Technology is not perfect.

This problem is solvable and you can do it. You’ll likely need the help of a counselor but you will overcome this fear if you persist. Good luck!

----Thank you. Living this way is not pleasant. I appreciate your reply.
Michelle

1 Like

Neither should you feel shame. You are doing the best you can with a tricky situation. Fear and panic are real and you do need to respect what they can do to you. But you also need to learn why you are feeling this level of fear so that you can place it in proper perspective.

I’m glad to read that you already have an appointment to talk about this with a professional. Your brain is your biggest ally and reigning in that over the top fear can free you to enjoy your life more. You can do this!

4 Likes