Any Diabetics Also On Dialysis?

Hi all.

Well I am 30 years old, have been a Type I Diabetic since the age of 16. I’ve been on Dialysis now for a little over 9 months. I have had to struggle with many Diabetic related Complications over the last 14 years but going on Dialysis I thought was definitely the end of the world. But it only took me a few months to realize that it was not. I am amazed at how much better I feel these days. My regular MD told me from the first day they told me in ICU that I was going to have to do Dialysis that I would feel so much better once I got started getting treatments.

Well he wasn’t lying to me that’s for sure. I guess I was really just so used to how I felt that I didnt know any better from a good day and bad days. I take each day as its given to me, I used to either wake up feeling great or good or I would wake up feeling like crap!! Now I pretty much wake up feeling great each and everyday. I don’t feel tired before or after my treatments either. Dont get me wrong I still have a bad day here or there but I think there are so many other things that can play the roll in how I feel each day.

I go to Dialysis 3 days a week for 3 1/2 hours. Once I am done and off the chair I cant sit still I call it “Getting The Batteries Recharged” I have not been able to slow myself down over the last couple of weeks. Its almost like a drug LOL I look forward to going to Dialysis and getting on the machine. I have been having some issues with High Blood Pressure during my treatments and I saw the Cardiologist last week and he had me wear a Heart Monitor for 24hrs. So hopefully something will stem from that.

Anyhow I was just curious as to how many Diabetics were on here who were also on Dialysis. Doest matter whether or not you are a Type I or Type II…

Post up and share with us…

Chris

my diabetes is still fresh(9 months old)
it’s good that you feel great about it :slight_smile:

? Are you on the transplant list ? My husband had Dialysis for four years before he got his kidney transplant. He does not have Diabetes though. He says that when he first went on dialysis he felt so much better than he did before. Then when he got his kidney he realised how great he could feel. We thank the Lord every day for some kind, unfortunate family that lost their loved one to give us more life. My husband is thankful for every day that he has. For many years before my husband went on dialysis I try my best to keep my BG under control.
Good luck to you.
Sheila

Been working on getting on the transplant list for a few weeks now, I wanted to make sure I picked a good hospital and good doctor. I have a number of other Diabetic and Health Complications that will make things not so easy for some so I wanted to make sure I made the right choices… I also wanted to make sure I picked a hospital that not only did a Kidney Transplant but also did the Pancreas, it sure would be nice to be able to get them both replaced at some point. So that’s where I am at right now.