Any Do's or Don't Do's for new Dexcom G4 user?

I accidentally threw away my transmitter the first 2 times I did a change, but I realized it as soon as I went to put it in the new one, and was able to fish it out of the garbage! So what you say makes complete sense! :-)

Natalie, why does that not surprise me ? Lol

I told the Dexcom rep that the tape isn't as strong on for the G4, tape lasted longer with the 7. She told me that it is the same tape but that the stress on the tape is different because the G4 sensor is a bit taller.

Addendum. I know Natalie can relate.

Don't carry the receiver in a shirt pocket while cleaning a storm drain.

Thankfully I learned this tip when my Gen4 landed in the toilet a few months ago, and I was able to retrieve it quickly.
Today, as I started to lean over to clear away some debris from the storm drain, I stopped, and moved my Gen4 to my jeans pocket !

hmmm...that makes sense! Thanks, Suzan!

Yup, I've done the shirt pocket thing too. But at least it wasn't in a storm drain, LOL!

First off, THANKS for all the observations and tips, I used a bunch of them so far...well ok, all of them.

Now the next questions for you "D" contentiousness.

Some of you recommend "Opsite Flexifix"for fixing the rough edges, especially on extended wear (which I am now doing). One of the people at UVA, where I am in studies for the "Closed Loop" system from time-to-time, recommends "Skin Tac Adhesive Wipes."

Have any of you tried those and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Ron

You'll probably hear from others who use skin tac because the adhesive on the sensor according to some does not adequately secure the sensor and it falls off after a few days. I have not experienced this problem and find even after 17 days that I still have to peel the sensor off of my skin. But as in everything else with D - yours may vary.

Ron - I use the skin-tac that comes in a small bottle with a little soft ball applicator. After I insert a sensor, I apply a coating of skin-tac on the outer surface of the adhesive material. The adhesive pad material soaks up the skin-tac. I used to paint an oval shaped pattern on my skin, while leaving a small circle clean for the sensor penetration. Painting on top of the sensor adhesive is cleaner and I do not need to overlap the actual size of the sensor adhesive.

I’ve also used the individual packet skin-tac wipes but find them messy to use and have a hard time getting the stickiness off of my fingers. I’ve had the packets leak in my go-bag and it creates a mess. There are also individual packet wipe-away skin-tac cleaners but I’ve had those things burst in my go-bag too.

Baby oil will help release any residual goo after a sensor is removed.

I can reliably get 2+ weeks using the skin-tac.

I hope to get my G4 and you reminded me not to drop it in the toilet. Good advice (even though I never did that with the D7

When I had the D7 I never stretched it past a week only because my skin starts to itch! Some people do keep it on past a week though..ymmv

I lost my transmitter when I moved into my new apt. Definitely dont lose it. I put my transmitter on the cabinet I have specifically for my diabetic supplies, easy to remember and you know where it is

I know I was on the D7 but do have a few advice of my own. I agree with the shirt pocket. Also do not put it in a sweater shirt that has a pocket in the front where you can put your hands in. It falls out.

If the G4 has a zipped up holder that you can attached to your pants, I say go for it. It fell off me less.

Do have it near you. There was a few times I put it down and walked away and got the ??? thingy.

Do not bring it in the shower with you! I accedently did this once and learned my lesson. Also do not leave it in the bathroom when you do take a shower. It steamed up on me..

Remember to charge it.

Do calibrate it as well. If it doesnt match my meter, I will calibrate it to be sure proper #s showing up otherwise I could be treating a low when I wasn't low or a high when I wasn't high.

I think everyone else had great advice :)

Hey Ron - I use the opsite flexifix and not skin-tac. It's a personal preference, but I found skin-tac to make it "crunchy". The white adhesive part became stiff and I found it uncomfortable for me. I know many people use and love skin-tac, so it just might be me :) I stick with flexifix, even though the edges get dingy-gray from clothing lint in about a week. Trade offs :)

Haha, I bought the skin-tac online (since it was much less expensive) and did a repair job on my sensor. It worked great at least so far for 4 additional days.

The first thing I noticed was how crunchy and crisp the adhesive pad became when it dried. So I agree; however, it didn't bug me that much and after the first hours or day, not sure, it became as soft was before and is still sticking.

I also see where some folks say it was messy but I didn't think it was bad at all. I used it just like an alcohol wipe, or IV Prep wipe, under the loose parts and then on top. My fingers were sticky but I just washing my hands with warm soap and water and it all came off.

Now, the true test. I did not buy the remover, so I will let you all know how well it comes off. My Dexcom sales rep is a type one and uses the Dexcom and the Animas pump as do I. He said it washes off pretty easily again with soap and water.

Hmm, I just wonder if it takes off a layer of skin or two, too? I will let you all know this weekend sometime.

Next, noobie question for you pros. And THANKS for all the tips and info so far. Since I have been T1 for so many years I am the one that people usually go to for help/tips, so this is something new for me.

Here you go:

Where can you wear the sensor. Everything I have read says stomach but I am thinking thighs, butt (out of the way for sitting), maybe back if I can "pretzel up" and do it there.

Any other suggestions or "no nos"?

By-the-way, I started doing my BGs in my arms (around elbows) way before the AMA said it was OK. I am constantly using computers and will not do the finger sticks (and never have). My A1Cs are usually below 6.5. I have only had 2-3 above that in the past 10 years, so I think it works fine. I just said that to say that if the lawyers at Dexcom say stomach only, I will still try other places but also wanted your input because I am sure many of you have tried it before.

As always, THANKS and have a great weekend!

Ron

Brave man! You may not need it for most ones that last more than a week, but inevitably, I will have one fail after day 1 and that stuff sticks! Get yourself some emergency Uni-solve wipes, too :)

I wear mine either in my abdomen (as is FDA approved) or in my inner thigh (so that it's not touching the other thigh when my legs are against each other, maybe 1/2 way to my knee?). The other areas you mention I use for my omnipod.

Keep in mind that if you use a "non-approved" site and have to call in a sensor failure to Dexcom, they will scold you and give you the spiel about how it's only FDA approved for the abdomen. I listen and say "yup". Then they replace the sensor :)

By inner thigh, do you mean sort of to the top of thigh? Otherwise, wouldn't it bother the other leg? I have mine on the outside to the top, so that I don't lay on it. Maybe I should try more inside, as sometimes my pump insertion is also there.

If you put your knees together so that your thighs touch, it is mabye an inch or so above where they touch.