Getting started with my G4

My G4 has been sitting in my room for a while now since I'm waiting to meet with a trainer and rep. I'm really eager to just do it myself and get started with the user guide. How many of you have started the system on your own? Would you guys recommend waiting for my appointment date(another 2 weeks from today)or have you all found it to be straight forward. Just an FYI, this is my first CGM. Thanks

Thanks to those who have already given me input in another section on this forum

I started on the Dexcom Seven in April. I didn't attend any training, wasn't even offered any. Just started it all on my own, without any trouble. It's not that complicated, really. Just read the user guide closely and it's a breeze.

thanks,jim

Well, if it was Me? Being a T1- and A Old guy ?
1- If allelse Fails, Read the Instructions!
2- Then I would find Someone Else who Has it and uses it and ask them To Help Guide me thru it.. ( Give them your Email, etc..)

But, Unless your Going Low alot? Not so sure it's worth it..

youtube has a lot of videos that will show you how use.

When I tried my Dexcom a couple of years ago, I did not wait for my training. It's very straightforward, and I didn't feel that I needed a trainer. I ended up canceling the training session and just did it on my own. Go with what you're comfortable with. If you read the directions and it all makes sense, I don't see the harm.

I had no training for my G4. It's really rather easy to get started. As said, good advice in here. Don't rely on it too much for the first little bit, keep up with stick test. After a week on it though I've found it to be pretty spot on.

I say go ahead and start, not like it's a pump where you can do some damage to yourself. At worst you get some inaccurate readings and life goes on.

I like the G4. Just started myself. Have you noticed that the tape on sensor base done not stay put very well? Maybe I just got a bad batch but I have gone thru two and they always come off during the night. I never had this problem the Dexcom7.

+1

As an avid cyclist, I have had allergic reactions to the adhesive and adhesive failure due to sweat(live in Central Fl.), I use an adhesive barrier like tagaderm and glue everything down with skin-tac, after I set the sensor, I wet the dex adhesive pad with more skin tac, then cover the whole conglomoration with more barrier tape. I will occasionaly reapply skin-tac during the session to keep the corners from peeling up, this has been the perfect set up for me.
I cannot take credit as I learned all of these procedures here on Tudiabetes.
Thanks everybody:)
By the way I have the e-mail confirmed my G4 order has been placed and I am simply waiting on a shipment confirmation:)!!!!!!!!!

Michael

I started my Dexcom G4 on Monday November 12th. I inserted the sensor with some help from my friends here online. I was sitting on chat with a group and they talked me through it. The actual start up is simple, just follow the directions that came with the kit. I did have an hour of training on the Nov. 14 but since I had already inserted the sensor and put the opsite flexifix around the outside, and set up my alarms, and had it all going for the most part the trainer and I just hooked the receiver up to her lap top and looked at the graphs and information. I did ask her a few things, like does the sensor really only last for 7 days, and she said she has patients who have gotten better than 14 out of some of them. And I was going on a vacation cruise and was going in the ocean so I wanted some input as to how deep I could go in the water.

Thank you for your reply. I will try the tagaderm and skin-tac. Hope you get your sensor soon. It’s helped me so much!

A few other things I should have mentioned if you do in fact start it yourself. Set your high and low alerts really high like 300 and really low like 60 initially because the sensor is not at all accurate to start. I did not sleep at all the first night I had it on and neither did my husband if it wasn't buzzing I was high it was buzzing I was low. And speaking of that if you do in fact sleep with someone on a regular basis the best place for the receiver at night is under your pillow. If you set the alerts to vibrate only, it will definitely wake you, but your partner will not hear it or feel it.

If you check my page I've documented my first week (going into number 2) with the G4. I've had Tegaderm on there since day 3 and I haven't had an issue yet. That's through 4 work days, 11 hours of Karate and 3 showers.

I simply cut a hole in the middle of the Tegaderm patch for the sensor to fit though. Though I do have some flexfix and IV prep on order as well. I am currently on day 6 with my sensor.

I use Flexfix, but I do not bother cutting the hole for the sensor, I just make sure there is no Skin-Tac/IV-Prep at the insertion site. The Skin-Tac has rendered the sensor useless for me. I now draw a couple of lines where I plan to set the Flexfix/sensor, then apply the Skin-Tac outside of those lines, slap the Flexfix on, apply the sensor peircing the skin where there is no Skin-Tac and so on. I am geting 10-12 days out of a sensor:)

Thanks for the suggestions. My first sensor started peeling off but the second one stuck pretty well.Its been 4 days now with no peel. I spent a good amount of time rubbing the adhesive down though. I will be getting some tape soon since basketball is starting and I'm going to need help!

i did it on my own. Looked up youtube videos and thought, "I can do this." and go figure, i could!

So far none of the 3 sensors I have applied have even started to peel up at all. I bought 2 rolls of opsite flexifix tape from here http://www.healthykin.com/p-1231-smith-and-nephew-opsite-flexifix-transparent-tape.aspx
it was the cheapest place by far and I have enough for the next 10 years because you just need a few small strips. I didn't realize you are in Watertown, I live in Southboro so we're neighbors.
The second sensor started giving me some really bad readings on day 5 and 6 so I called Dexcom and they are replacing it free of charge. They were very good on the phone and very helpful.

I'm glad to hear your started using your G4. How do you like it? Mine has been so accurate and I am very pleased. I have a very pronounced dawn effect and the sensor has allowed me to see exactly when my blood sugar starts to rise in the early am. Changing the amount and time I take my Levemir in the evening has prevented morning highs.

Thanks to all for the tape advice. I talked to Dexcom and I hope they are going to address the problem. My first re-order arrives after Dec. 12, so I will see if the problem continues.