Any US Health Insurance companies covering Victoza?

I have had this same problem with Aetna specialty pharmacy. My prescription was very specific, 1.8 mg of Victoza per day and each pen holds 18 mg. Yet, they somehow dispensed and quoted in units of pens, yet they had a lot of difficulty understanding the difference between a box of two pens and three pens. They shipped it wonderfully, in a huge styrofoam box. Yet I would have to call them up and give them grief when my 20 day supply somehow didn’t last 30 days. After a few times, they apparently have it figured out.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida - My prescribing Doctor had to write a letter to the insurance company stating I had been on other drugs for diabetes control which were not able to bring it down to an acceptable level. That’s why Victoza was being prescribed. The insurance company re-considered and approval the medicine for 6 months. I understand from the pharmacist Victoza is extremely expensive ($295 - per month) which is why some insurance companies do not cover it. Good luck!

I have an AETNA PPO and they cover my 2 pens a month at $45.00 copay. That’s a lot better than I was expecting given some of the comments about AETNA.

BTW, I’m also concerned about V. not continuing to be as effective. It doesn’t seem to suppress appetite as it did before. Also sugars have stabilized at lower but not at target levels despite increased exercise.

Thinking of taking a break and then coming back to it.

I have BCBS of Florida and they do indeed cover Victoza, although it did take a letter from my prescribing doctor.

I just started with Victoza about 6 weeks ago. I’m going on Medicare 8/1, and the only insurance available to me for Rx in CA that covers Victdoza is Humana. My co pay is about $74/month but that’s not bad.

My insurance is admined through Blue sheild and they pay all but $15.00/mo.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida. They initially refused to cover it. So my doc gave me some samples for a 3 months. Drug reps will often help if your doc asks if they know you are trying to get insurance to cover. I also have a CGM sensor so I checked my BG often. After 3 months, I went back to my doc with printed reports from my sensor that showed before and during the 3 months. My BG was within target range about 20-30% more often. He was able to use the reports and right an appeal to the insurance company explaining how Victoza was helping my have better control and would lessen the likelihood of complications (that they would have to pay for). I applied for hardship assistance through Liberty Medical, and since BCBS pays at least 80%, they write off the rest. So basically, I’m getting my Victoza for free if you don’t count the health insurance costs.