Anyone go Low Carb in Honeymoon?

i think this was for someone else cuz i was just agreeing about how much better i feel low carbing and with insulin...

I agree!

I have told my son to approach this as though he has Celiac or is allergic to foods. You simply find alternatives. And when your mind and body feels ok about those alternatives you release the path of resistance.

I spent 50 years trying to figure out my body and why I was intolerant of certain foods. Mainstream said take the pill (kind of like "take the insulin" and I said there is a way to find the balance.

Food and whole foods closest to it's natural source is the first best step that anyone can take no matter where they are in their life disease or not.

All of us would feel the difference.

Why am I more carbohydrate sensitive than others? No answer as of yet except the connect to genetics. Why did my son get Type 1? Perhaps the expression of what was intolerant to me and aggravating to him.

Science is forever changing and developing.

What will we learn in the next 1 year, 5 years, 10 years and beyond.

Keeping ourselves flexible and earnest is the best place to be.

1 Like

Sorry but a T1 who have "cured" themselves from needing insulin are called crackpots, and many *cough looking at you Halle Berry* are misdiagnosis.

It's a lovely belief, but sadly it's also immensely dangerous and can kill. Please, don't even go there.

Keep believing in his strength to over come this hiccup, and use it as a minor challenge to strive on for his own goals. Have belief in your son beating this, nothing else, even in a cure until it appears in your hands as there are unfortunately big issues many D's go through with depression and loss of hope. So keep believing in him, and give him the fundamental strength he can and will over come this.

Not sure what this reply means. But I do agree that about feeling good on lower carbs.

There is no such thing as a crackpot. But let it be YOUR belief. Giving good energy and support to my son as well as education is the best thing I can do.

Live it your way. Enjoy!

I have heard of T1s that have come off of insulin in the beginning of their honeymoon phase, but I don't think anyone would actually believe the diabetes is 'cured'. everyone goes back on insulin at some point.
If you can go off basal in the beginning, great! Just be sure to very closely monitor bgs and go back on the insulin once they start to go up. Its all about keeping normal bgs no matter what the approach in order to prolong the honeymoon period

just because of your last comments-"get off the crap and you will know it. You don't have to argue it or question it. Everyone will feel a difference, whether Type 1 or not"

i dont eat crap, and wasnt arguing or questioning. i was just commenting to shawn that i agreed about low carb eating and how i might well stay on it if there were a cure one day.

I commend you on wanting what is best for your son, and whereever your journey takes you, I hope that both he and you can be happy and healthy.

I think it's important to remember and realize, however, that insulin is not bad or unnatural. If you believe that there have been Type 1 diabetics who have "gone off insulin," than what "cured" them wasn't actually to "go off insulin," it was that somehow their body started to make and use it's own insulin again. I think there is this perpetual and false concept running around both inside and outside the diabetes community that somehow insulin=bad. All non-diabetics take and use insulin on a daily basis, so why is it so bad if diabetics do too? Sure, you can get argue that synthetic insulin is not the same as our body's naturally produced insulin, but that's a whole different thing. The point is that there is nothing inherently bad about using insulin. We don't have any idea how much a insulin a non-diabetic uses on a daily basis (my bet would be that it is way more than the equivalent of 1 unit of Lantus). Let's try to remember that "normal" people use insulin daily, and not to make using insulin seem like something that is bad or unnatural.

Good luck with your Type 1 journey, and I sincerely hope that you can cure your sons Type 1 or that his honeymoon will be prolonged. If it's not, though, please don't see using insulin as a failure.

1 Like

really, have you read on here how even one wrong dose and/or a bad pump site, set, kinked cannula, etc...which has nothing to do with food or eating, will cause a type 1's blood sugars to go SKY HIGH..SKY HIGH within often minutes...that's all it takes. A type 1's body NO LONGER PRODUCES INSULIN, period. There is no cure, there is no food or withholding of food, there is nothing, other than a regeneration of the beta, alpha cells (and other hormones) and the ability to stop the autoimmune attack, disease that will allow a type 1 off insulin, thus a cure. If you're providing false hope to your son that he can be cured by 'something' which as of right now DOES not exist, then...I don't know what to say. There's no education out there to support anything other then what we all know as type 1 diabetics, we live this every day, every damn day..that's our education. If something out there existed, we'd all be doing it. Has nothing to do with giving good enery, it's about facts and what we live with. There's no false hope(s). Cancer is not type 1 diabetes. We have NEVER cured any disease, ever! Vaccinated, treated, yes....but have never cured anything.

it's suggested to all type 1's during honeymoon to start a small dose of insulin to try and retain whatever beta cell function they do have right now...that is HOW one extends their honeymoon. everyone alive uses/needs insulin to survive, it's a hormone, whether it's analog or naturally produced from the pancreas...what does it matter. we have to have it!

then they were misdiagnosed and/or still honeymooning, that's it..those are the only two scenarios for a type 1 going off insulin. yeah, type 2's go off insulin/meds all the time, they don't have an autoimmune disease! type 1's don't come off insulin, they die if they do. i'm sure you can google some earthy anti drug whatever parents who decided to take their child off insulin, well..the child died and parents were charged.

hi,
i am newly dx'd LADA about 4 months ago. I was initaly told to " just make sure i take my insulin before i eat". I was taking Lantus and Novolog. I went totally low carb without being told by my providers.....i learned about low carb here and by reading myself. I managed to eliminate my Novolog by eating practically no carbs...until a few weeks ago when for no explained reason my dinnertime numbers were slowly rising...i was crushed. My basal has never changed but i expected my honeymoon to last for at least a year or more. Reading about other folks "honeymoon" i had psyched myself into thinking low carb would keep me there for as long as others said their period was. I have 5 little ones so now i worry aout catching something from them this winter that will just totally take me out of my "honeymoon".
I just recently asked my providers to put me on a pump because i want to preserve as much funtion for as long as possible. I am continuming to eat very strict low/no carb but i now need dinner insulin.
I was crushed when i had to go back to the dinner bolus.
My point is try not to get your son too caught up in the "honeymoon" and just do what feels right and do what is best because like many have said it can be over sooner than we expect and that could crush a teen..especially when he is doing everyhting "right" and his insulin needs change unexpectantly.

The body is like a ticker tape with Diabetes. Your numbers changing just meant they where changing and increase of exercise and looking at the amount of protein may have some of the answers, along with it being summer. If you are LADA you have even more flexibility to what you are doing.

I dont believe in the pump. I rather use a CGM to teach what the body is doing and learn to adjust accordingly.

But you chose what was right for you and that is just fine.

I am just teaching my teen to take care of himself and make wise choices. He will feel strength and gratitude for doing so. I would hate to think that anyone should ever be crushed. There are so many variables to working with Type 1.

Thank you.

yes, that's how this works, unfortunately. we can low carb or not even eat until the cows come home but the autoimmune disease will STILL progress, regardless. an insulin pump won't preserve beta cells anymore then injected via a syringe or pen insulin. a pump isn't a panacea for anything, it helps with those who have DP and other related BG issues and one can often get better control. I wouldn't recommend a pump for you when you're not yet even bolusing for all meals yet...it's a lot of work, sites/sets, etc..higher chance of going DKA,

that is very good advice, lotus! it IS a real bummer when your honeymoon is coming to an end!

I find it hopeful that you found a dietitian to advise/consent/bless a limited carb diet. Very enlightened thinking.

the whole "honeymoon" thing is just so " not definate".
Im thinking i may have been " honeymooning" long long long before dx'd.Looking back I had symptoms for a too long to even remember.
You just dont know, and no one can ever tell you " you wil be here this long". I wish.
I have tweeked my food for better results.. they dont get worse but they're not getting better either so who knows...2 kids have food issues so i know a bit about nutrition, unfortuntely for me it hasnt changed. I changed my daily exercise routine to before dinner...nope no change.
No, no i wasnt at all suggestion you go to a pump..i dont know enough about this to suggest anything to anyone..i could have this for 50 yrs and i never suggest anything to anyone because its just so different for so many.
Crushed i couldnt imagine it either til i was sitting in the Dr. office and he said, " You are a type 1.
Oh, no, I have small children..crushed.

As persons with diabetes, we are all, by definition, carbohydrate intolerant. Where we vary is the location of our individual carb intolerance threshold. Exceed that threshold; get on the glucose roller-coaster -- more highs, more lows, more insulin, more weight, less safety, more misery.

Advice to diabetics to consume 45-65% of our daily calories as carbs is like advising an alcoholic that s/he can drink on the weekends.

Erin - I agree that using insulin should not indicate failure. Using it well, especially if you're a person with diabetes, is a worthy goal. Overdosing insulin to keep up with an unhealthy abundance of dietary carbs is not good practice, in my humble opinion.

exactly. those select few t1s in the beginning may not need any basal because their body does produce enough of its own yet. Its not cured. eventually they will need to go on insulin, but beta cell function will be preserved as much as possible either way no matter where your insulin is coming from, as long as bgs stay normal. You dont have to inject insulin just for the sake of injecting insulin if you are still producing enough of your own