Anyone switching Bayer Contour Next?

I have not had that issue with mine.

I got mine in the mail and set it up about a week ago. I will continue to use my OneTouch until my supplies run out in a couple of months. How often do we recharge the Bayer?

the meter is nice and small and so is the clicker but.. WTH? could the test strip canister BE ANY bigger? I mean really isn't there a way to make that smaller? Don't we have a landfill problem??

I find the meter difficult to put into the holder inside the case? The plastic area sticks to the meter as I try to slide it in after charging...am I doing something wrong...suggestions? Also I think it is difficult to insert the HUGE strip container into the elastic area..!?

I have found very small makeup bags at the drug store that I like to use for my meters. I hate trying to dig in the bottom of my purse for something in a dark case.

I leave the meter in the case take out the strips bottle and use the USB extension cable to charge it. It works for me.

One good suggestion from Katie's mom is to use the USB charger from the phone's charger instead of using a laptop. Most of the phones now come with a USB charger where the wire come out so you can plug in your meter directly to charge.
On my recent visit to the doctor, he told me the no one beats the free style meters in the amount of blood they require for a test and also you can add more blood until it beeps. So less wastage of strips.

My 2 cents.

The Contour Next also allows you to add more blood until it beeps....hated that the OneTouch needed so much blood and you couldn't add more!

I like it a lot, but ran into insurance problems with it. I would have had to pay $195 for the strips compared to $30 for my refills for the One Touch.
Not sure what it is about at this time and will have to investigate some more.

Our cost for Contour Next strips, through our on-line (90 day supplier) was exactly the same as One Touch Ultra. However, when I went to get one month's supply at local pharmacy they made a mistake and gave me regular Contour strips which were double the cost of the Next strips. Lesson learned: don't assume that they will fill a strip prescription accurately----double-check the box! I didn't realize it later that day; luckily we hadn't opened the box and they took them back!

Question for those who have switched to contour next meter - went snow shoeing today and despite temp and the usual planning, while in the white mountains had 2 consecutive “below 20 seek medical advice” readings. I have had readings in mid 20s before in the 2 years ihave been tupe 1 on pump but never that low - First, I did not like that no number was given (only ‘below 20’); second these readings were not sent to my pump automatically (despite my having all readings sent) which mens i have to remember tonseprately tell my doctor; third my CGM did not show me anywhere near tht low so I am questioning the accuracy of the readings. Curious if none else’s readings have been questionable on this new meter or had below 20 readings which appear suspect??? I am thinking of switching blacktop old meter despite my liking the small size etc. thanks!

I'm using the Contour next EZ (not the USB version) and have wasted several strips because of insufficient blood.

The Abbot Precision Xtra will accept more blood. Interesting that you say the FreeSyle meters can also. Does this include the new FreeStyle Insulinx which uses the same strips?

The Contour NextLink does accept more blood.

I wonder what is different. Maybe, I'll take the ferry to Port Angeles, WA and get a NextLink. I don't mind using either unit systems.

I have the Contour Next and like it. I have run into issues with UHC not wanting to cover the strips. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the strips and their health care provider?

Since I can’t start using the Contour as my “main meter” until I’ve used up my stock of One Touch strips, I’m saving the empty One Touch containers and will use them for an easier fit. Agree that the Contour containers are a pain.

Dear Kate and MOM: Much thanks for the the comparisons. I have had the Contour link in a box since it came with my new MMM Revel in late December, 2012. I am continuing to use the Ultra Link, as I have tons of stored up strips. but i think I will ask for my doc to do a reauth. for the Bayer strips, and just have two Linked meters to use regularly.I will keep the ultra link bedside for when i need to test in the middle of the night WOO HOO!the features of Not Having to use the Carelink dowload usb, small size for portability when i am exercising, less blood, and the back lighting sound formidably faboo!!

Thanks again
God Bless
Brunetta

Duane,that's my concern as well: I have been able to get most testing supplies not on the preferred list with a re auth from my doctor for Medical Mutual . But as of Jan 2013,the only meter/strips they cover is the Accuchek. Maybe the Contour Next is too new and not readily used/prescribed? I have not tried to send them a pre-auth script. They carry the Bayer Contour meter and strips at my local CVS, but not the Bayer Contour link metert and strips. They may be covered by my mail-in pharmacy with Express Scripts, but I do not know. It will take a lot of direct phone calls ( by you) and a letter from your doc, I think. It is what I had to do to get my Apidra authorized.

God bless,
Brunetta

Duane...What is UHC's reason for not wanting to cover the Contour Next strips? I've just switched over to the Contour Next USB, but haven't picked up the strips from the pharmacy. I had used the Accu-Chek Compact Plus for quite a few years and really loved it, despite the meter size, because it was/is pretty much a one-handed meter with the lancet attached and the strip cartridges. But last month, I learned that Accu-Chek made a pretty arbitrary sort of decision...they increased the price of the strips order by $45 per month. Accu-Chek tells me the price increase is only on the Compact Plus strips and not for any of their other meters, which seems just a bit short-sighted on their part. But anyway...I do like the Contour Next USB, but want to insure that the strips are covered, of course.

Brunetta - I think the Contour Next LINK meter is only available directly from Minimed, and they sent me one free when I called them.
I was able to get Contour Next strips at my CVS, and my insurance covered it, even though Accu-chek and One Touch are the preferred brands. But everyone's plan is different.

There is also a Bayer card available, to get $15 monthly co-pay (max $35 off). The card was included with the meter, but is also available on their website.

I've been using the Next LINK for about a month now, and like it better than One Touch, primarily due to LESS blood, easier to SEE, and smaller !