Anyone use Glucote for lows?

My endo recommended this. The lows make me barf and the glucagon shots make it worse. He recommended this and I bought 2 today ($2.99 each) and it is billed on the label as an energy drink that will raise blood glucose.

His point is that it is gelatonius and will stick in the mouth, meaning I will need to swallow it. Thoughts and comments?

I can find no information on this product. Do you have a link?

I bought mine at CVS. Here is a link:
Glucose Liquid Shot

It it does not tell you much. I asked the pharmacist and she pointed me to this product, which was with the glucose tabs, etc. The endo had actually written glucote, and now I wonder if I got the right stuff. I also googled the word and found nothing.

The package says it raises low blooed sugar fast and boosts energy.

I am not really one to give you comments based on experience. But a good comparison of fast acting glucose was done by DiabetesHealth. They didn't really compare the effectiveness or cost and they didn't included "non-diabetic" products. The best ones should contain Glucose, sometimes called D-glucose or dextrose.

The fastest absorbance comes from liquids, but chewed up tabs don't really fall too far behind. And you actually can absorb the shot directly from your mouth, but it is probably better to swallow, although if you have gastroparesis, this can really delay absorption and the mouth is better. I don't have harsh lows and treat with smaller amounts (the shots are 15 g carbs), so I just use smarties and sweet tarts which turn out to be much cheaper.

One advantage of using a diabetic product is that it will be covered by a FSA or HCSA.

I hope that is helpful.

I've read studies that say that glucose is NOT absorbed in the mouth, that it must be swallowed and in your intestines before it can get into your blood. Even with gastoparesis, fluids (including glucose dissolved in saliva) will get to your intestines very quickly after swallowing. Drinking extra fluid (water) with it will speed it's transit to your intestines by a bit more.

Taking a dissolved glucose like the one your endo recommended will save the amount of time it takes to chew and dissolve the glucose tabs; that time should be minimal but when your BG is critically low a few seconds can seem like an eternity. That said, carrying glucose tabs (or smarties or sweetarts) for emergency use has always been good enough for me.

Thanks, Jag 1. I usually drink apple juice, if low at night. Problem is that the juice has been making me ill. I want something small and fast that my husband can get into my inctead of shooting glucgone.

I do sometimes get really low. At night, I want something he can use quickly.

I did take the liquid back and exchanged it for gel. I cannot believe the price: $4.19 for 2 ounces!!!!

If you want a liquid, and you don't need to carry it with you when you are travelling around, I have a perfect solution. Next time you are the supermarket, buy a bottle of corn syrup (or better yet pull out that bottle you've had at the back of your kitchen shelf for a year). Make sure it is real corn syrup, and not high-fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup is pure glucose dissolved in water. And it has no added flavor, so it has no objectionable taste. You should be able to buy a whole quart of corn syrup for the price of one gel pack.

I don't think corn syrup is necessarily all glucose, see my comment.

I think there is a big difference between products we can take ourselves (like glucose tabs) and products that need to be administered by others, like glucagon shots. From my understanding, glucagon as you stated, has side effects which can be severe, and should only be used if you are unconscious.

On the other hand other low treatments like glucose tabs are not meant to be administered by others. When you say "that your husband can get into you instead of shooting glucagon" do you mean if you are unconscious? I understand the danger of choking if something is put in your mouth when you are unconscious is more a cause of harm to people than lows. Nobody should ever attempt to put something in your mouth if you are not conscious. If you mean when you are disoriented but conscious and he is handing them to you, or saying "here, swallow this" that's different.

See my reply. True corn syrup is glucose, though of course high-fructose corn syrup is not since it contains about an equal amount of fructose. So if you want pure glucose, buy corn syrup (not high-fructose corn syrup).

Could GluTose (my emphasis) be what your endo actually recommended? Misreading or loosing a single letter could easily happen...

GLUCTOSE is a tube with gel (aka icing). No eating required at all just squeeze it between your cheek and gum, and even unconscious you'd absorb it without any trouble... Its non invasive and easily found...OTC

http://www.google.com/search?q=glucose&hl=en&prmd=imvns&...

My brother is an EMT and when we visited him my son had hypoglycemia overnight and we couldn't get him to swallow so my brother gave me a glutose tube to give my son. He just drooled it back out but Rick said he still would get some benefit from it. Unfortunately we had to call 911 due to the severity of his hypo. But if his low hadn't been so severe I imagine it would have helped.

I have never been unconscious at any time in my 50 years as a T1. Hate to say it, but I have some pride in remaining completely cognizant at blood glucose levels of 11. I have had paramedics rescue me a very few times and they never believe me when I give my latest reading, until they run the test. They are amazed.....

As a result, I do not need something he can administer when unconscious. Just something easy to get inside and will work quickly.. So, Sue59 really answered my question. The glucose gel is what my (excuse me) idiot endo called glutose.

Zoe, I have developed a new "habit" of barfing when really low. I will drink the juice willingly and respond to him completely. Then... I thought the worst thing for him ever was the one time (maybe 13 years ago) he used the glucagon. However, the barfing is a new low.

If someone loves you enough to handle that (he will do anything not to barf), he is worth keeping. I just want to make it easier for hime.

It is still extremely dangerous to put anything in the mouth of someone who is unconscious. I've read in several places that you never put anything in the mouth of someone who is not conscious. Sorry but I don't have those resources available, but do not try and put anything in the mouth of an unconscious person.

Yeah, I would also have pride in something like that, Spock; guess we're both weird! I have actually been unconscious but it was when I first started on insulin and neither my doctor nor I had a clue about dosing. When I came out of it and could test I was 38, but it seemed like swimming through molasses to function. I don't know how low I'd gotten. On the other hand not too long ago I just kept going down and down despite treatment and the last number I tested at before I started to rise was 28 and I was very lucid and problem solving what to do. Who knows, maybe it was the difference in how slowly I was going down vs the first time when I crashed pretty quickly.

Sorry about the barfing, definitely not fun. I'm glad you found both an alternative solution for your lows and a husband who will deal with the worst you (your body) have to offer! Both are worth a lot!!