Anyone using symlin with the V-GO disposable insulin Pump

My doctor has prescribed symlin for me but wants me to use it with the V-GO disposable insulin pump. THe problem is that I can't find any info. on this type of therapy anywhere. She said it is a very new protocol. She gave me only limited instruction and I'm already confused. Obviously I will have to go in and get further explanation but I'm wondering if anyone else out there is using symlin in this manner?

I have no experience with Symlin whatsoever since I'm in Canada, but this sounds like a great idea to me, especially if you are on a pump already and don't want to go back to taking an injection at each meal (I know I wouldn't). I don't think Symlin needs to be doses in the same way insulin does, so the limitations of the V-Go wouldn't matter as much.

This is confusing. You have been T1 for more than a decade on the pump. And now you want to switch to the V-Go? The V-Go is oriented towards T2 and only has certain fixed basals, generally not a good thing if you want to set your basal exactly right. Certainly nothing near what you can get with a modern insulin pump. The V-GO is "attractive" to T2s because it is an "easy" pump. And Smylin slows the emptying of your stomach allowing mealtime insulin to better cover meals. And it just seems strange to add smylin, an injected medication and then switch you from a pump to the V-Go presumably to make things "easier." I've just never heard of a dual smylin/V-Go protocol.

I have never heard of anyone using Symlin in a 24hr regiment???? The V-GO starts delivering product as soon as the cannula (Needle) is inserted at a rate of 20-30 or 40 units each day. Sounds like a bad idea to me...a continuous Hypoglycemia regiment...JMHO

My impression was that the V-Go with Symlin would be in addition to using a regular insulin pump. Symlin doesn't require the same incremental dosing as insulin, it's just one set dose at meals, and there have been numerous Type 1s in the DOC who have tried pumping Symlin since almost the time of its release. Sounds like the OP definitely needs more information, though.

Just clarified things with my doctor's office. I will be using symlin in the V-GO as a constinous, small supply of symlin throughout the day. I will continue to inject for my bolus insulin and my long acting. (I am no longer pumping). THere are a few endo practices in the country that will be doing what I am doing, somewhat experimental. Will follow up after a few weeks and post how it worked or didn't help. Hoping that I will be able to use less insulin overall but also prevent the many hypos I get after eating.

Hi Lisa! Any update on how this works for you, or maybe how it didn't work? I got into a "heated discussion" with my doctor a few weeks ago about how I thought symlin was kind of stupid if only injected at meals since his (fully functioning) endocrine system gave him a constant drip, shouldn't we strive for that on me too? He agreed, but didn't have a solution. There isn't a good way to mix it with insulin in a standard pump (I tried) but maybe I can convince him at my next appointment that this is worth a try....

Maybe

I really would like to buy a V-go, but can’t find a website…

Does anybody know where I can buy it?

I believe the company went out of business, but I could be wrong.

Try this website, V-go like any other pump requires a prescription from your doctor.

Re: Symlin

I was in the original stage 3 trials for symlin and have been on it ever since. Symlin is a analog of Amylin, a hormone that is co-released by the beta cells. Therefore in type 1, it is not released at all. The dosing protocol is a fixed dose for each meal. I’m not sure if it co-released in proportion to insulin in a non-DNer, or it is a fixed amount when there is an increase in bG. If it is fixed, there maybe a threshold. I was told only to take it for meals, 30g carbs or more.

I haven’t heard of administering it as drip. I think there have been pump designs that infuse both insulin and Symlin, but never got off the ground. If they going to make double pump, I think it would be better to have the 2nd cartridge hold glucagon or glucose. That would make for a better clamp. I would love to know how well pumping Symlin worked.

As I recall from way back, they start one on the lowest dose. When the nausea stops, the go to the next dose. Increasing the dose should not trigger nausea, until one has gotten to a dose that is too much. Then they back down to the previous dose.

I have found Symlin excellent at mitigating/preventing post meal bG excursions. It probably won’t directly effect Ha1c’s. Since it lessens high and lows, for most people the average, and therefore the Ha1c, will change much. But it sure smooths thing out.

Cheers!

PS, I meant to say that SYmlin can not put in the same pump as insulin. it is much more cohesive/viscous and will interfere with pump the insulin, maybe even causing occlusions. It is also recommended that it not be injected near the insulin infusion site.