V-Go 24 hour disposable pump

Please tell me if anyone here is trying this system and how they are liking it . I Have been using it for almost 3 weeks. Much better than being "the Humnan pin cushion" as my Dr coined the phrase herself. Humalog and Vgo - Goodstuff. It has rocked my numbers!!! Imput please.....

Never heard of it.A disposable pump?? Can you explain what it is?

I'd never heard of it before.
Looks like an interesting concept but would be way too much insulin for me.

I work for an insurance company, we've had a couple of requests for this, but we are not covering it at this point in time.

Here is the link for it, it looks kinda similar to Omnipod, look wise, but you do not seem to have the flexiblity for dosing from my understanding, its preset basal rates. I think for people who have very stable doses, or don't need a lot of basal patterns it MIGHT work ok, BUT Im not sold on it yet.
The V-Go is for the continuous subcutaneous delivery of insulin in preset basal rates and with on-demand bolus dosing for adult patients requiring insulin. V-Go devices will be available in a preset basal rate to deliver 20, 30, or 40 Units of insulin in one 24-hour period (0.83 U/hr, 1.25 U/hr or 1.67 U/hr, respectively) and on-demand bolus dosing in 2 Unit increments (up to 36 Units per one 24-hour time period). The V-Go offers a simple way to deliver basal-bolus therapy.

http://www.valeritas.com/vgo.shtml

It looks interesting but the website doesn't have a lot of info. The other thing I saw about it it looked like the size is very appealing. I would not like that it (presumably?) doesn't have the calculator features of a "regular" pump or the variable rate adjustment. I wonder how you set the rate on it and if you could somehow work it manually?

This review from eTalk

has some interesting details. Apparently it's only for T2? I was thinking that if it weren't expensive, I might prefer it for a race, where the size would be advantageous? I have my pump and CGM together though so ditching them isn't in my plans.

Wow, that is really different! What motivated you to get this, Sugarfree, rather than a more traditional pump? How does it compare price wise and do you need to insert a set daily rather than the once every 2-4 days of a traditional pump?

It definitely seems to be geared to type 2's as that is also much more insulin than I use as a type 1. The first thing that strikes me about it is the lack of flexibility: the idea of a pre-set basal dose seems incredibly alien to me. First of all because I don't use the same rates for all 24 hours, and second of all because my needs change. I don't know that much about Type 2 insulin variations though compared to type 1. Are they that stable that you have good results from the same basal rates for 24 hours and never need to change them?

It has a steady drip capability - but pls understand I am on the highest dosage they provide. I haven't bottomed out in yrs - and yes I am a type 2. It does come in a lower drip. Price is a different story - as I am not sure which insurances cover what. Yes it gets changed daily the same time every day - and you can also relocate to avoid skin irritation. Maybe it's not for everyone but it is really working for me -

Ultimately that's the bottom line what works well for you. It does appear it seems to be more geared to Type 2's. It just simply would not work for me, and I need that flexibility in dosing for my basals and my bolus.

Yes you can manually bolster - up to 18 times in a 24 hour period and I do! lol.. I use a chart and work it according to my needs- I have a manual set for my meals - for every 1 click it delivers 2 units - so for B- L -D I am currently using this formula- 8-6-12 then if I am really high - I adjust accordingly by the chart - not hard just need to get use to it - size wise - it would probably work for you - I like it - measure 1 1/2 x 3 inches and is shaped like a rectangle. Hides well and small enough to not be cumbersome. Ck out this site - www.go-vgo.com - ( :

Hey that's what counts! As long as you are getting good bg results and find it ok to use, it's all good! I have heard that it's really hard for type 2's to get approved for regular pumps, which seems so unfair to me since they are the standard of care for any insulin dependent diabetic! So maybe this is a good alternative and you're putting it on here will help other type 2's who have been wanting a pump but were turned down for the traditional ones!

I am impressed ...and like learning what is available for type 2 's on insulin ...thanks for sharing Sugar free is mel !!
Congratulations on having a supportive Doc as well !! above all : it works for you !

This sound interesting. My first impression is that it could be the poor man's pump but when I got to thinking about it I realized that it is described as a disposable device. 365 of these a year might add up to considerable cost. So I would be interested in knowing what each actually cost.

I can see convience of this, one stick a day instead of 5 injections on MDI sound like a good idea.

Gary S

Hi Zoe - It's very new - 4-2012 I keep it on for a 24 hour period and it drips 1.67 per hour continuously - then I can manually add more by bolster ck out www.go-vgo.com and it will explain it in more depth. Very easy to use and works great for me- hope so for others too.

Thanks - I hope it can help someone else too ! I have to say I am really glad I found this site... I don't feel so isolated. One thing I have learned is with this disease they throw a lot at you very hard and fast - can be scary when you don't know what you're getting in to.. Thanks for your feedback and support.

Glad you have some flexibility. Is it a smart pump? That is does it figure I:C ratios, ISF, etc? Does your insurance cover it? Like I said it definitely wouldn't work for me; I only take between .425 and .500 an hour and like my boluses in fractions of a unit up to a .025 increase. I need the flexibility of multiple basal rates and like only having to change sets every 3-4 days, but it seems to fit a niche if your blood sugar is really stable and consistent and you need the higher doses.

It's good to know options to tell others about. Does your insurance cover the daily changes?

Thanks!

That is exactly the plus to this system. It's a great solution to being stuck all the time which I was doing 3-5 times per day. Once a day at the same time and I'm done.

I agree, this can be very scary, and the information does come to you hard and fast. When I was dx'd back in 1985 I spent a good week in the hospital, getting my blood glucose under control AND just intensive training and education. It's kinda sad today, you get the diagnosis, and a bunch of info thrown at you, and some prescriptions, and some rough guidance and its sink or swim. I really think especially with diabetes, there really needs to be some intense education and training following diagnosis. But thankfully there is the DOC, and amazing sites like this I've gotten more useful information from here than anywhere else.

Me too. I've learned very little of what I know from the medical professionals. Most of it has come from on here and from just trial and error and my own experience. Also from Using Insulin by John Walsh. Welcome to TuD!

Hello Sugar free is me i see that in July of last year you wanted more info on the V-go and have any one was using it i see that. was almost a year ago can you tell me if it is working for you and also the ups and downs of it thank you