Apple Watch 6 and G6

Hi @SherryAnn by iwatch do you mean the apple watch series 6? Asking because I’ve seen posts on the apple support website saying that g6 data won’t display on the series 6 watch and that it isn’t compatible. It’s not listed as a compatible device on the Dexcom website, and I’d like to confirm that it does in fact work before I buy one. I’m interested in getting one because of the convenience of glancing at my wrist to see my bg. Are you finding other medical related features useful like the blood oxygen sensor?

1 Like

As you can see by the attached image, I have an Apple Watch Series 6, and it does, indeed, display my Dexcom readings. The readings first have to go to the Dexcom app on my iPhone, but they then are transmitted to my watch. Looks like my morning bolus has worked too well, and I soon will need a small snack! Do not be afraid to buy the Apple Watch 6. It displays the G6 just fine.

2 Likes

Thanks @SherryAnn!

In case anyone’s interested in non-Apple solutions, there’s this:

Requires at minimum a Fitbit Vera2, which is the cheapest model that allows you to install apps, and then you just install this one. It feeds off the Dexcom share channel, like Sugarmate or other 3rd-party widgets. You can set it as your default face, so when you activate the watch it comes up with the time/datel info plus your BG, along with a little graph. It also buzz-alerts for highs, lows, BT disconnects and other system messages (not always welcome).

Very clear interface, and I really didn’t want all the extras (and expense) of a full-blown Apple watch, so this was a lot simpler.

Hi Sheri Ann,
I got my Apple Watch 6 Sept. 30 and with Dexcom g6 app installed at the phone store…after one day poof it is gone, I have tried doing everything to get my readings on my watch and no luck, do you use a certain face on your watch face you use?I would appreciate your help please. I have been off this site for years so if you see my pic I have aged since then, lol. Thanks so much CindyW. I also got a new I phone SE that same day.

SherryAnn,
So sorry I misspelled your name. Cindy

@SherryAnn – This might seem like picking nits and I don’t intend it that way. Apple named their phone, the iPhone, their operating system, iOS, their watch, however, they inconsistently named the Apple Watch. Apparently trademark disputes are in the backstory.

I think most people can figure out what you are referring to when you write iWatch, but our local search engine is not that clever. I suggest that you edit the title of this thread and replace iWatch with Apple Watch so that others who might search the TuD site later will be able to find your thread and the helpful info you documented.

I do my best to withhold my inner grammarian but titles of posts must be spelled correctly using standard convention so that access to the archive is possible. I hope you understand.

I also have an Apple Watch that displays my G6 glucose and I like it!

Thank you for letting me know that! I did not realize I needed to title a reply I have not been on this site in a long time. By the way how did you pair your Apple Watch 6 with with your G6 app?Cindy

No, replies or comments do not need a title. Only the initial post, in this instance written by @SherryAnn, needs a title. Sorry for the confusion!

It’s been a while since I did this pairing, so I don’t remember off the top of my head. I would ask google, “How do I pair Apple Watch 6 with a Dexcom G6?”

That’s ok! Believe me I have goggled and no success! Seems there is a certain watch face is used…I keep trying. Thank you!! Cindy

1 Like

Maybe someone else knows the answer to Cindy’s Apple Watch/G6 question?

OK. Thanks for the head’s up, Terry4. I think I have edited the title to read “Apple Watch” now so people can find it.

1 Like

Cindy, I just went online and typed in “pairing Apple Watch 6 with G6” and found several links that show you how to pair the two devices together. I also found information on Dexcom.com. Someone wrote, " Can I view my Dexcom G6 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System data on an Apple Watch?" Dexcom had directions and pictures how to do that, including pictures of the five “complication styles” that you can choose from to monitor your glucose from your watch face. Rather than copying the Web site, please just go to Dexcom.com. They explain exactly how to make your watch and your phone compatible.

My Apple Watch 6 has worked in a very easy/straightforward way with my Dexcom G6 and iPhone 11 Pro. This is the first Apple Watch I’ve had. The only thing I had to figure out was which faces allow for the Dexcom complication to be shown, because only about 6 of them do. I like the astronomy one with the rings of planets myself, which does, but you need to go into any of them and edit which complications are set to show. That face allows for a smaller complication at the top (I do my HR) and a bigger one at the bottom (Dexcom). There are others that display the blood sugar info much larger, like the Modular face, but I prefer the dexcom info be visible but small/subtle so I can always see it, but it’s not announcing it to the world.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried that and had problems… I will try again. Cindy

Thank you!! Cindy

Thank you so much! I will try that! Cindy

@cardamom I am not happy with the “complication” of Dexcom G6 on the watch faces. It sometimes is not up to date and on occasion is missing. If I touch the screen and go to the app it is correct and now the watch face is correct as well. I’m wondering if this is a problem in general or just my particular watch (Apple Watch 6). Thanks.

The same thing has been happening to me. I have to touch the — area where my blood sugar should be, and it will change to the Dexcom screen and then show up on my main screen. At least I don’t have to dig the Dexcom receiver out of my pocket to check my levels.

1 Like

@SherryAnn I may have fixed it. The first thing is to go to settings >General>Background Refresh making sure that’s enabled for Dexcom. I did that and still lost BG on the watch face. Desperate I shut the watch down and rebooted - Voila! So far current BG is staying updated on the watch face.