Appology

It has come to my attention that this topic is a very volatile subject. If I offended you by my post, I am sorry. Instead of calling me names and telling me I am wrong, lets have a discussion about what made you so mad. That way I can avoid hurting your feelings in the future. It was not my intention to belittle, or offend anyone. I know that Neither type of Livabetes is easy, and that they both come with some very similar trials. I use Livabetes and it has helped many kids come out of the depression of diagnosis. So Yes I will continue to use the term. I am sorry some of you have not found happiness with your life after diagnosis and I pray that one day you will. Being sad is not fun and makes it so life is not fun. SO I hope for your own sanity that you do find peace and happiness.
Until I die, I will continue to educate those that want to learn and I will continue to be positive in the fact that I AM ALIVE. There is nothing I can do to change the fact that i am a Livabetic. But I can change what the condition does to my body.

I come here for support and information. I live with is everyday like everyone else

:D You LIVE with it, see it is working :D

The reason for the change is not really about those whom have knowledge, But for those around us whom do not know there is a difference between the 2. We as Livabetics should not be afraid or ashamed of this, and we should be informing those around us of the difference :D

Sorry, but I don't really agree. They changed the name from "Juvenile" to "Type 1" so that people wouldn't think that only kids get it. Did that work? Nope! And changing it to "Liveabetic" would just confuse people more. Immunodiabetes maybe? Indicating an autoimmune disorder? But then it might be confused with AIDs. Of course, many will still revert to that age-old stand by - "oh, you have the BAD kind".

I don't believe that there is really any name that will explain the differences between T1 and T2 to the lay public. Just as there are different types of arthritis that aren't really self explanatory for people that don't know about it. I think it's up to us to be ambassadors and talk, straightforwardly to people who are willing to listen.

I just say "I have Type 1 Diabetes" rather than just plain "I have diabetes". If people want to know more about the difference I will explain. Having been misdiagnosed simply based on age, I know that there is ignorance everywhere even among the white coats. But I agree with Cora, new names won't solve the problem, just add to it. I'm not into saying "I have livabetes (or autoimmune or whatever), formerly known as Type 1, formerly known as Juvenile!"

formerly known as Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus or IDDM

I've accepted the fact that the general public will be terminally confused about my T1D, no matter the name. In fact, I believe that the public would remain confused if there were only one type of diabetes.

People can only pay attention to so many things in their lives. Unless there were a long and expensive public education campaign, people will still be confused. To be fair, I knew very little about T1 or T2 diabetes when I was diagnosed.

The best thing we can do is educate one on one when anyone asks questions about diabetes details.

I am not saying that "they" change it. I use it as a tool to open up dialogue between myself and those around me.

Livabetes is a life changing diagnosis. It is met with confusion, denial, depression and fear. With not much knowledge of the disease, many whom are diagnosed only know Diabetes as Type 2 and do not know there is a difference between the types. It is my goal to bring awareness to the differences in the types and to let people know that you can live a long and healthy life with Livabetes. We are going to have this condition until the day we die, so we need to stay positive and Live with the Betes

I talk about the Betes with random people on a daily basis. I share information and answer questions, both to the public and those recently diagnosed. I spend a fair amount of time talking with children and teens whom are having rough times with the Betes and hopefully give them some tools to help educate those they come into contact with whom are ignorant and belittle them for not being "normal"

As a teen I was bullied and picked on because of my "condition". They were scared and uneducated and thought that they could catch what I had. Not being very well educated myself, I spent plenty of days at the library researching and educating myself. Now I try to share that info with others whom are in the same boat I was in.

Personally, I prefer the ancient etymological roots of diabetes, perhaps the oldest identified disease? Maybe not, I used to read about that sort of stuff when I was younger but it's all shoveled away in the attic of my brain!!

I knew what she wrote, Which is why I had the ?'s. I am not sure how I offended her.

I really don’t understand why people get so caught up in this topic. It makes no sense to me. Do you know the exact differences between hepatitis A and B? Neither do I. And I don’t care, and never will unless I or a loved one have either-- and probably not even then as long as they are getting appropriate treatment… Pretty silly to just assume that the general public has some responsibility to educate themselves, or have us educate them, on our personal health conditions and the differences between varying forms of that condition

I don't force my education on anyone. The people whom i inform ask, and then I tell. Most people do enjoy learning. At least the people whom I come into contact with. And they thank me for sharing my knowledge with them.

this T1 vs T2 discussion is so old. Until we all come together as diabetics...we will never have ONE cohesive voice. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter

It has come to my attention that this topic is a very volatile subject. If I offended you by my post, I am sorry. Instead of calling me names and telling me I am wrong, lets have a discussion about what made you so mad. That way I can avoid hurting your feelings in the future. It was not my intention to belittle, or offend anyone. I know that Neither type of Livabetes is easy, and that they both come with some very similar trials. I use Livabetes and it has helped many kids come out of the depression of diagnosis. So Yes I will continue to use the term. I am sorry some of you have not found happiness with your life after diagnosis and pray that one day you will. Until I die, I will continue to educate those that want to learn and I will continue to be positive in the fact that I AM ALIVE