April 14th - Type 1 Awareness Day!

My aunt’s granddaughter (my second cousin) also has type 1. She is eleven years old and has had trouble within her school. My daughter will be going to a different school in a couple of years (Olivia just turned 3), but both schools are within the same school district. I was horrified to learn about how her school was treating her. Not allowing unlimited trips to the bathroom, no access to water, no snacks, no one willing to administer glucagon if the school nurse is not there (school nurse is only there a few days a week), not allowing her to carry needles/supplies on the bus, - the list could go on and on. I couldn’t believe it! My husband and I were getting so angry listening to the stories being told. Right away, I gave my aunt the ADA website, the children with diabetes website, and tudiabetes website. I definitly came to the conclusion that my Aunt didn’t know what her granddaughter’s rights were, etc. I was so angry. This is going to be the same school district that Olivia will be going to. Will they try to treat her the same way? Are we going to battle? I will be ready for the fight!!

Today (March 25) is Diabetes “alert” day, which is mainly geared toward type 2 - ways to prevent type 2, etc. Education may prevent type 2, but it will not prevent more kids like Olivia from getting type 1. Most people I come in contact with don’t know the difference between the two. Kerri Morrone from www.sixuntilme.com has issued Monday, April 14th - Type 1 Awareness Day! Let’s support this great idea/day and raise awareness - spread the word about type 1 diabetes!

Ronda,

Some federal laws and guidelines exist concerning children with diabetes in schools. Many states have also passed legislation in the past few years to protect children with diabetes from discrimination, and to require the training and education of educators to properly care for these children. We should encourage all parents of children with diabetes to know their federal and state rights, and be willing to stand with them in requiring them to be enforced.