Area to inject using Flextouch Pen

Does anyone Inject their buttocks? According to videos I found one line, it says to inject into thigh, arm or stomach, when using a FlexTouch Pen, but I would rather use my hind end? Is that ok?

Yeah I do it all the time for basal… A CDE told me they don’t recommend that area (or thighs) for bolus insulins though because the tissues absorb less consistently than abdominal… Dunno how true that is but I’ve always just considered it a good plan

1 Like

Thanks @Sam19 . It’s comforting to know some else does it😊

1 Like

I also used to use buttocks and hip areas for basal, but not bolus, when using Flex pens. Mostly because buttocks are just harder to get to in my case, I wasn’t really thinking about absorption rates.

I do find I get some of the best results with my basal insulins when using buttocks and hips vs. stomach.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d never heard that about absorption rates either but it kinda makes sense. When I was on MDI using pens I stuck to a fairly OCD rotation schedule (as I do with pump infusion sets)* and I’d just do it in whatever spot was up in the rotation, with the exception sometimes of restaurants if the spot was somewhere awkward and attention-grabbing like the back of my arm.

*I don’t know if they still do this, but when I got dx’d 32 years back one of the nifty little pamphlets they gave out had a picture of what hypertrophy from using the same location looked like. It made kind of a strong impression.

1 Like