Baqsimi expiration

You have all been of huge help in the past. I have an expired Baqsimi for severe lows. What is your opinion about keeping it around even though 3 months expired?

1 Like

I think it’s always good to have an in-date hypo kit, but maybe access or cost makes that not possible for some people.

Hopefully you never need to use one, but if you do, I think it’s better to have an expired one on hand than none at all.

1 Like

@Mbstarr I don’t mind having an expired Baqsimi around and wouldn’t hesitate to use it. That said, I agree with @Finn that a currently dated one is better. I have no scientific basis for this other than the expiration of Baqsimi is fairly long already (though I think companies test their products for the minimum they think they can get away with, after all they don’t make money by a “lifetime”guarantee…). In addition, Baqsimi is a powder that may become impacted by humidity over time though the wrappers, if intact, make it fairly impervious. I understand the cost requirements come in to play, so does the likelihood of a severe low requiring Baqsimi’s use (very low from all studies I’m aware of)…so the question becomes one of are you willing to play the odds? I have one container in each car, one upstairs and downstairs that my wife and I both no about, and one in a kit I take with me if traveling some distance from home. Am I overly concerned? No, but it does provide some piece of mind I have a fighting chance in the event of the very unlikely episode.

1 Like