Basal Rates

I have been using the same basal rates for the last 8 months. I have 12 different rates and they have worked great and I don’t mess with them. I have it all figured out for the dawn phenomenon and I change one rate montly in the a.m. for when I have PMS and then return it back to my original setting after one week. I don’t mess with my basals and usually any bad numbers are due to bolusing incorrectly.

For the last week, consistently, I have had severe spikes into the 300’s (numbers I don’t normally have) after breakfast. So now I am messing with my basals to try to fix this and got it down to 182 today and with another adjustment I tomorrow, I think I will conquer this.

My question is, why all of a sudden would this change occur?

Could you have an infection?

Wouldn’t my bloodsugars be consistently high through the day?

could be:

funky infusion site
funky vial of insulin
change in breakfast food
change in morning routine
rebound from night time low

Without logging stuff - a real pain sometimes - it’s impossible to know what’s happening.

Have you got a copy of “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh? Good advice on when and how to adjust basals v. bolus’ and some insight on the unforeseen spike.

Terry

funky infusion site *** changed and still having spikes
funky vial of insulin***would it be that consistent?
change in breakfast food***nope
change in morning routine***I am always stressed, in the a.m, hmmm???
rebound from night time low,****don’t think so as I wake up with mostly normal bgs.

Have you got a copy of “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh? yesGood advice on when and how to adjust basals v. bolus’ and some insight on the unforeseen spike.*will take a look

Thanks Terry. :slight_smile: Oooo and the CUBS just WON :slight_smile: