Bears, bikes and bug bites. Day 3

Most of my life, at work, at play, at home, is smooth, pretty well organized, and orderly. But for some crazy reason, when I’m preparing for a cycling event, I let nerves, excitement and frustration take over.

Case in point was yesterday. I’m riding the 100k event in the Anchorage, AK Tour de Cure. I wake 3 hours early to prepare, getting all the cycling gear ready, checking BG levels, sorting and arranging sports gels, electrolyte drink and course maps. I’ll spend 4 to 5 hours pushing this old diabetic body to its limits, so I need everything just right. But I let the excitement and frustration kick in…I lose my headphones for my smart phone.

Not a huge deal, but listening to music helps me get through the tough parts. And Tour director Mary Powell definitely put in some tough parts. (Note to self, check course profile, look for HC climbs next time). We Google mapped our way across Anchorage to Lion’s Park and arrived in time for good parking, checked in for the ride, and met up with Mary Powell. A Tour director is a screamin’ busy person on Tour day, so we left her a Colorado themed gift and kept the pleasantries short. Back at the car I pumped up tires, loaded pockets with Dexcom, Spot GPS tracker, rain gear, food, smart phone, and…no headphones! My wonderful soigneur and wife loaned me hers, and I made it to the start on time.

The ride was a dream. About 15 miles on Anchorage’s waterfront trails made me forget the wind and a few spits of cold rain. I was dressed just perfect in some of my best cold weather cycling kit. But these folks from Alaska are tough! I rode with guys in short sleeves, women in summer shorts, and kinda felt overdressed. They make 'em tough up here.

Riding with a fast groupette on the waterfront trails had us ripping through thick trees and undergrowth. I’m sticking to the wheel of the iron calf leader when we whip around a bend and he quickly points left. A moose is 20 feet off the trail casually munching and staring at us. I grin crazily like the tourist I am and try not to cause a massive pileup.

Today we start north towards Fairbanks. Weather should be OK, but as we look out the window at 4:45 AM, the streets shine wet with new rain.

No real lasting insulin sensitivity showing up yet, basal still set normal. Lots of training has this beat up old body ready for the challenge.

Hi Joe. I'm sure the Alaska riders are tough, but they're also acclimated. If I may say so, you're the really tough one! Best luck.

I have to agree, Alaskans are tough as nails;)