Being sick is certainly disconcerting

My system sounds like Terry’s in that my doctor is responsive to the MyChart system email, more so than the PA, but generally I don’t have direct access unless it’s an emergency.

I called the Quick Care facility in town since my own doctor is over 8 hrs away. I asked for a test and they said the swabs are ready, but the labs aren’t set up yet to analyze the tests.

Very few tests have been done in the US. It helps if you are famous.

She asked if I had a temperature of 104 and I said that I had heard that it was 99.7 for seniors. She said that she hadn’t heard that. A government spokesman said it yesterday. She asked if I was coughing. She said that if my breathing became constricted to call the nurse on call for the clinic and gave me the number. She sounded quite disinterested.

I will wait and see since I can’t get tested. I think I just have a cold, but I will pay close attention.

3 Likes

I’m in Portland, Oregon. My doctor is in the Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) system.

It looks like a white label product that they customize for their clients. Yours has the same terms in the center section as mine. Maybe not, but…

Epic is the provider of MyChart, and customizes for each installation.

MyChart has been great. I can ask a question and usually get a response by the end of the day or the next day. Copies of all my tests, x-rays, usually before I even see the doctor.

Not trying to dismiss anything and for sure you should talk with your doctor but if it will help with your fears I will mention that I have not seen sniffles listed as a corona virus symptom.

I don’t know if this helps or not but the sniffles indicate it could be something else. While it doesn’t rule out Covid-19 it at least gives an alternate explanation.

So no runny nose? Well that is good. Sure am going through the Kleenex which I had planned to use as TP. Just kidding, we have plenty of both.

I talk to my naturopath in the morning by telephone, so if I am no better maybe she will have some ideas.

What a silly time to get a bad cold.

Your doctor should have information at the ready as far as testing sites are concerned, in order to refer his or her patients out quickly and efficiently. The problem with testing sites is fairly predictable: running the risk of encountering sick people. Nevertheless, there should be sites somewhere. Check your city/county/state dept of health web site. DC’s DOH web site is horrible and very non-user friendly, so – good luck.

How’s your energy?
Describe your cough.
How is your breathing?
Do you have chest pain?
What are the results of taking your temp over course of one day?
Is your heart rate normal?

Yes, bad time to get a cold, agreed. Think back to the last time you got a cold, is it similar?

As far as Covid is concerned, I wonder if most of us will clear it without even knowing we had it….

1 Like

I newish to the medical world, but Epic is a big provider. I was just recently working with a project manager for some of my employer’s informatics systems, primarily Epic, although the specific system escapes me…

Thanks.

I am tired
My cough woke me up all night. It is non producing
My breathing is fine
My chest just plain hurts on and off for no real reason and has for several yrs.
My normal temp is 97.9 and went up to 99.1. Now it is 98.6 at almost 5:00 pm
I rarely get colds. I do remember that when I get them I am surprised at how rotten I can feel.

I will talk with my naturopath by phone tomorrow. The nearest testing is probably in Portland and I really don’t feel like driving an hr and 1/2 unless I am almost sure I have the virus.

My regular doctor is 9 hrs away.

I think my heart rate is fine, I will take my BP later. If I get the virus I will know it, because my body is very sensitive.

Epic is the underlying system the health care providers use to share information between doctors at the same organization and other Epic subscribers. Actually pretty cool. The doctors I use at one health care system can see all the test results and reports from the other. MyChart is the patient portal the overlays the system.

I have MyChart accounts at three healtcare systems; the two I use and one for my daughter. All the interfaces and capabilities are slightly different. The other cool thing is you can link your MyChart accounts across systems.

2 Likes

dry cough or wet cough? Ahhh, dry cough. You have to assume you are contagious and not have contact with anyone else, at a minimum. Thats your responsibility.

This thing kills the elderly in 3 days, so I think you ought not blow it off. Make a call. Maybe they can come to you.

There are very few places left that aren’t running off Epic. They are in Madison, WI and are virtually the only game in town, now, nationally. For good or for bad, thats how it is.

1 Like

Good. Ask her/him what are the most commonly presenting symptoms experienced by him/her so far.

This healthcare system adds two more symptoms that I have not encountered in much information, headache and sore throat. Usually it’s fever, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. I hope you feel better.

Mohe, I am not blowing it off. If I feel worse I will call an ambulance. I am in a very small beach town at the moment. I haven’t seen another person besides my husband in almost 3 weeks, because I have been trying very hard not to catch the virus. My husband just got over a lighter case of whatever this is. He has been very careful around others too.
If you knew me in life, you would know two things about me I have always concerned about my health and that of my family, and I am a very responsible person.

1 Like

I wish…Since testing has been behind/limited doctors don’t know much about it either. I knew of someone the other day where the doctor wrote the order on a prescription pad and told the person to go to LabCorp. (It is a nasal swab, most- if not all- lab techs aren’t authorized to do nasal swabs- at least in my state). Doctor has to do and send it into the lab (this was before the “drive thru” testing that they are trying to put together as fast as possible). Sigh… I wish they would provide doctors with testing site information…

I was looking it up today because I wanted to see coronavirus vs flu vs allergies in terms of symptoms. The one article said: “Coronavirus is NOT sneezing”. Personally, I always say “never say never” because anything is possible, but those cases are the usually nearly improbable.

Since you mention living in a small town. I don’t know how you define “small” but, if it is small enough, it is said that nothing is a secret in a small town so, is there any information about anyone having it there?

This small town has 600 residents and then it has second homes. Ours is a second home which we haven’t been to in 7 months because I had a lousy fall full of doctor’s appts.

We started hibernating when we got back here, but haven’t heard of anyone having it. No one has tested positive in the town with our other house either.

I have been sneezing and am also wondering if my cough is actually a dry cough since I do have to swallow after coughing. Actually my cough is becoming a wet cough, so that is good.

None of the labs anywhere near here are set up for testing.

2 Likes

This might help you sort out the symptoms.

1 Like

Yes called mine just today and asked him to switch me to arb from ace inhibitor as it seems to have been causing a dry cough… which has become pretty socially unacceptable lately

3 Likes