Best CGM

Hi community, I want a CGM that alerts me when I’m getting low. Which sensors do that and which ones can notify me on an Apple Watch. I was wondering if there is one that will alert me if I’m not checking it. Thank you!

The Dexcom G6 alerts you to lows and highs, and I think it syncs with an Apple watch. It will transmit a glucose reading every five minutes.

1 Like

The Dexcom G6 is still considered the gold standard, even though they are seeing an uptick in competition.

1 Like

Thank you! That is quite often. This is helpful info because I used to have the Libre and it didn’t do that .

Thank you! Do you wear one?

Dexcom does that, and it will work with an apple watch, but only via your phone, so you cannot have it sync directly. You need to keep your phone in range for it to work.

2 Likes

Yes, I upgraded from the Dexcom G5 to the Dexcom G6 early this year. The G6 is certainly not perfect so if you are looking for perfection you may not be happy, but for most of us it allows us to have much better blood glucose control, very valuable glucose trending values as well as rising and lowering alarms, low and high alarms as well as many other functions.

1 Like

Libre 2 has alarms

1 Like

What options are open to you depends on what tools you use to treat your diabetes and where you are located. If you are looking for a stand alone CGM then I think the only two choices are either Libre or Dexcom.

Currently in the US I believe you can get either the Libre 2 or the Dexcom G6. But both Libre and Dexcom are in the process of getting approval for their follow-on devices, Libre 3 & Dexcom G7, respectively.

They are hoping to get those approved sometime next year (2021). But I don’t think either company has a date in mind at the moment for when that might happen.

Dexcom is probably further along in the approval process than Libre. Prior to the unpleasantness with Covid-19 Dexcom was hoping to get approval for the G7 in 2020.

How soon were you looking to get CGM? Do you wish to acquire something ASAP?

1 Like

I tried the Eversense when it first came out and it will alert you. It has a vibratory alert on your arm that will alert even when your phone is out of range. Now I use Dexcom G6 which will sync to Apple Watch but only if iPhone is within range.

1 Like

Thank you, good to know

Thanks, I wish it would alert even when the phone is out of range.

I didn’t know it had two alarms, an automatic alert alarm for when you go too low?

I am still on the fence if I want to wear one again. I do the insulin pens. I used to wear the Libre right after I was diagnosed. In the first few months, It was hard for me to recognize lows and highs. Now I can recognize more. But just recently my blood sugar has been higher in the morning, And I’m wondering if it would be good to try one again. I had an allergic reaction the adhesive on the Libre so have been without for 6-7 months now. I’m inclined to the try to the Dex one, but wanted to get others opinions before asking my endo about it.

I’ve tried the Libre and I have used the Dexcom G6 for over a year. Dexcom has way better accuracy For me than Libre, but since I don’t have any experience with Libre 2 I can’t say if the accuracy has increased or not. Allergic reactions can often be handled with a few different “hacks”. I use Flonase (the nasal spray)on the area where the sensor is going to be placed and it prevents itching and rashes. You can also apply a barrier tape such as IV 3000 to your skin and insert the sensor through the tape to keep the adhesive from touching you directly.

1 Like

More about accuracy than features, but:

1 Like

@Mocha - Although you were asking about alarms, I can see the conversation diverged a bit. If anyone is interested, I can set up a quick poll for us to vote on. I can use MS Forms or Survey Monkey, but just need to know all the devices, and maybe a section on comments.

1 Like

That info is helpful! Thank you! And sure, if you can make a poll, that would be helpful too. I do feel inclined now to go with the Dex6 and hopefully my insurance covers it.

Thanks for your input. I used the Libre and felt there were times it wasn’t accurate and was told the numbers could be off by 1-12 numbers. It’s hopeful that the dexcom is more accurate :slightly_smiling_face:

Just for general info, you should also be able to create a poll in any post to this forum. Discourse has the capability to create a simple poll built-in. Just click on the gear wheel (options) icon in a reply message window as shown in the screen snip below.

Did you know you could create a poll in Discourse?
  • Yes, of course.
  • No, that’s interesting.
  • No, but frankly I have no interest in this.
  • Go away, kid. You’re bothering me.
0 voters
1 Like