Dexcom g6 approved by health canada!

VANCOUVER, Feb. 22, 2019 /CNW/ - Dexcom, Inc. (NASDAQ: DXCM), a leader in continuous glucose monitoring (CGM), today announced that the company has received Health Canada approval for its next generation Dexcom G6 CGM System for people with diabetes ages two years and up.

This approval now clears the way for the Dexcom G6 to be made available to Canadians with diabetes. It was previously introduced into the U.S, U.K., Ireland, and several other European countries and has seen strong sales. The G6 commercial launch in Canada is planned for late 2019 as the company continues to build capacity to support global launch plans.

1 Like

That’s awful news. The G5 is far more cost effective, reliable, and has an adhesive that works. The G6 option will cost me $1,000’s more than the G5 :sleepy:

Hi Jim, just a couple of comments.

First, like always my experience may not be your experience, but I did want to provide some comments. Like most things you hear a lot from people who are unhappy with the G6, but not a lot from those whoe are satisfied. I’m finishing up my second sensor, so not a ton of data. Below is my experience so far:

1. Adhesive - for me the G6 adhesive works better than the G5. With the G5 after day 7 I always needed to tape the sensor to keep it on. With G6 I made it through day 13 with no need for any tape.

2. Reliable - I’m only two sensors in, but haven’t had any issues with sensor errors. I’ll know more in a month, but as of right now not an issue.

3. Accuracy - G6 is more accurate and catches blood sugar changes faster than G5. It is accurate even during the first 12 hours. With G5 the first 12 hours are suspect. I wore both G5 and G6 at the same time to evaluate how G6 was working.

4. Senor life - both G6 sensors have made it through day 13 with good accuracy. I haven’t tried to see how long I can make them last. I’m good with 13 days. (I use one of the posted methods to restart a G6 sensor)

5. Cost - I can’t speak to that since CGM is covered by my insurance as well as being in the states.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply Jim

I’ll always take more accuracy, however the price will be an issue. It’s just a simply matter of dollars.

I keep my G5 sensors on for an average of 5 weeks (quite a few make it to 6 wks) so I’d use an average of 10 sensors / year. Plus an additional 3 transmitters.

The G6’s 13 day limit means about 3 times as many sensors, and I have no insurance or healthcare coverage for CGM’s.

@Jimi63

The G5 is FDA approved (and presumable Health Canada approved) for 7 days. The G5 sensor can be restarted.

The G6 is FDA approved (and presumable Health Canada approved) for 10 days. The G6 sensor can be restarted.

The process to restart a G6 is different than a G5. Once you do it a few times - it becomes trivial.

1 Like

13 days is all I wear them for. I haven’t tried to see the max amount I can wear. I just don’t have that need.