Best glucose meters in 2018

How accurate is your meter? What is the FDA accuracy regulation? Here it is and you might be disappointed. Here is the FDA regulation taken from the best meter review article as quote:

Every blood glucose meter must be FDA approved before it can be sold in the U.S. To receive approval, the meter goes through rigorous testing that can take months or years to complete, and in the end, it must prove to be within 15 percent of the true glucose level, 95 percent of the time.

THEREFORE, AS AN EXAMPLE, IF YOUR TRUE READING IS 100, YOUR METER CAN REPORT IT AS 85 TO 115 AND STILL BE ACCURATE AS PER FDA REGULATION.
Here is the source:

LOL. I could have told them the number one meter would be the Contour Next. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you must be a proud owner.

Here’s a review of 18 meters. Oh No! @Dave44 contour next again on top!

1 Like

not proud. Just found the Contour series of meters to be more accurate across the full range of bg’s that I encounter, compared to other meters I’ve used over the decades.

1 Like

there are quite a few meters I’ve used that aren’t on their list, but have to agree with the low grades for those in the second group, that I’ve used.

1 Like

I also use the Contour Next One (and Next USB before that) and it’s the best meter I’ve ever used. I can test three times in a row and rarely ever to the results vary by more than 0.5 mmol/L (and typically then only if I’m in the double digits). I also find my Dexcom is quite accurate for a full month of use. Though some of that is eating a low-carb diet to keep my blood sugar as stable as possible (highs and lows seem to kill the sensors much faster than flatlines), but I’m sure the meter accuracy also helps out.

2 Likes

The various flavors within each meter brand can make it difficult to identify the meter being reviewed. In this instance the ranked meters list included the Contour Next One meter, but the company also makes a Contour Next, in addition to Contour Next EZ meter, Contour Next Link meter, Contour Next Link 2.4 meter.

I know in the Roche meter line, all their brand family meters do not share the same strips, introducing another variable.

Is it safe for someone here who owns one of the brand family’s models that the companion results can infer similar quality?

1 Like

All “Contour Next” meters of whatever variety use Contour Next strips.