Best T1D charities for those in the developing world

Okay, hit me with the best charities for helping folks in the developing world access the supplies needed to manage their T1D!

Every year we say we’re going to thoughtfully research before deciding on charitable giving, and every year on Dec. 31 we are randomly googling in a guilty effort to make up for the year’s lack of research.

This year, thanks to our son’s diagnosis, we do have a cause we care deeply about (T1D), so I want to get a head start.

2 Likes

Here is my pick: http://ifl-usa.org/

DHS is a sponsor for this org so it’s a win win along with a beautiful thing to do :sunny:

3 Likes

Insulin for Life is a really good one. I also like Marjorie’s Fund

Dr. Jason Baker came to TuD and told us about his work with them, they mainly help those in Africa with type1

2 Likes

Unfortunately the life expectancy of a child dx with T1D in a “developing nation” is about 4 months (see who.org for specific countries), and that’s the kids who get a dx. They don’t have refrigeration or the means. I am moving to a developing nation in the near future and trying to help even while in country is very difficult. There is just no infrastructure (medical care, education, etc) to help with chronic conditions. HIV/AIDS takes most of the efforts and those staffs are not equipped or able to handle T1D.

Maybe consider helping really poor kids in a developed nation. Or give the jdrf or other charity who are researching a cure.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it’s so incredibly sad. Short of adoption, I’ve been told there’s not much I can do.

Hi csb49, yes that is sad and I am grateful every day that my son was born in this time/place so he has a good shot at a long and healthy life.
Obviously there are some places where supplies and treatment may not reach many people as there are so many other life threatening conditions and so few medical resources available. But I’m guessing there are some places – like India, Kenya, Nigeria, etc. – where they do have a more developed medical infrastructure but also a lot of poverty and extra supplies could help.

As I said, check who.org for info. The poor just don’t have the luxury of seeing a doctor, nearby or not. Those who are not poor can usually afford the time to see doctors and can get required meds.