Blood Sugar target

Hi all, this is an article about blood sugar target; among some other articles about Diabetes, I hope that it will benefit newbies.

http://afifi30.blogspot.ae/2013/03/this-is-real-target-what-is-yours.html

The recommendations in the blog are single opinions and to some extend they are questionable. Here are the points cited from the blog:

1. If you wake up more than 100 then you have a problem - beware your target is not 130; even if your Dr, told you it is OK.
  2. If your readings above 140 (some researches recommends 120) after meals then you have a problem - beware your target is not 180 or 200; unless you want to get all possible complications.
  3. If your A1C is more than 5 then you have a problem - beware your target is not 7 here !

To 1. to wake up with 70 is very likely a sign of lows at night you have simply overslept. Over the years the additional stress of overslept lows will have a negative impact on your heart. The corridor from 70 to 100 is very small for some people taking the inaccuracy of the meters into account. Just some sports the day before and the muscles will cause a low at night. If I wake up with 110 or 126 I am just glad - and I am in the 5 club.

To 2. those who have lived for more than 60 years with T1 did not have BGs of 140 after meals. Like Dr. Bernstein they have survived for a long time without that type of tight control. They had a strict eating regime and they did lots of sports. But most certainly they did not control their BG at the one or two hour mark. Dr. Bernstein is possessing a fantastic set of genes like all the long-timers do. Now he takes his exceptional shape and just uses his choice of life style as the only explanation for that - which is a very limited view for a doctor in my opinion. For the post meal number we even have to look at the amount of residual beta cells all T1 still have. With a certain amount these patients will even be able to produce some amylin to slow the digestion down giving them a natural advantage. The cards you are dealt are pure luck here.

To 3. an A1c of 5.8 or even 6 is the way to go. To aim lower will not be of any statistical value for the prevention of complications. In contrast it puts stress on the lifes of people: risk to become hypo unwaware, risk of having an traffic accident, guilt, shame, depression, lack of joy and so forth. It is not worth the price believe me. If you have these low numbers then fine. But be aware that this could be just a sign of your individual glycation rate. Some people are not blessed with a liver that plays nicely with their diabetes. Others have mixed forms of T1 with T2 like insulin resistance. Women are facing huge challenges due to their hormonal cycle. I am with you that Doctors should at least try to achieve tighter control. For that there is a potential space to explore in many small details. This means working tightly with the patient and sharing all the experience the medical team has gathered from successful patients. Of course it is more than troubling that some Doctors still recommend an A1c of 7.

Thanks a lot holger for yiur useful reply, actually not only dr bernstein that I got these info from but also through dr rob thompson author of low starch diabetes solution, riva greenberg author of 50 diabetic myths that can ruin ur life, henny ruhl author blood sugar 101 ...anyway ur opinion is well respected and also make sense...we only need better control.