Bolus but no basal?

Is it uncommon to need to bolus but not need basal? Thanks!

That may occur in early stage of LADA, where pancreas can keep up with basal needs, but need help with bolus to cover meals. Not sure how common, most in that stage usually know they will likely start/increase mealtime insulin at some point. Low carb can help prolong that period.

(Not my experience, but know some folks that did.)

2 Likes

YES in my “honeymoon” phase I didn’t need a basal, just a bolus (and a tiny bolus at that.)

1 Like

Well maybe I need basal. My overnight test with no basal and no carbs before bed - I thought my BG would stay flat but instead it went from 130s at bed to waking up at 200 with a steady rise all night. Should I test once more?

And is this nighttime the beat way to test basal? I don’t see BG rising during day without eating sugar

I just posted this “miss a meal” basal test in another thread. It would be well worth doing

1 Like

In your other post, sounds like you have LADA, but confirmed some insulin production based on C-peptide.

Your journey/treatment will evolve as your own insulin production decreases. The progression varies by person.

My recommendation would be to get cgms (maybe Libre) and monitor bg every couple months to see if/how much bgs are rising. Or do bg checks after meals.
You can choose to avoid or limit use of mealtime insulin (bolus) if you choose to do low carb.

Here is good info on LADA.
https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/69/10/2037

1 Like