Brand New Pump

OK…I have to admit I was kind of excited to see my brand new t:slim X2 arrive yesterday. My one year diaversary is on 11/17, and this is my gift to myself. I can’t believe how much stuff comes with it. I don’t know where I am going to store it all! I have good control with a little help from my dying pancreas and this group and posted a 5.8 during recent Bloodwork. I travel constantly for work. When I say constantly, I have 120 mattiott nights so far this year. Because of this, I need to schedule the training well in advance and am anxious to get started. How long should it take to get this training scheduled? I can’t get a call back. The rep says they need insulin dosages from my endo no haven’t seen him in 6 months and he has no idea how much insulin I’m using. Any thoughts on how to move this forward? Also, aside from humalog vials(pens currently) nod some syringes for emergencies, is there anything else I need? I have a pile of infusion sets, cartridges, tubing, etc. thanks for your help today and this past year!!

I’d start with seeing your endo… And reading the t-Slim manual.

1 Like

Do you have a log that shows your current insulin dosing amounts, blood glucose readings, exercise habits, and eating style? A written record (hand-written or device downloads) will help you and your doctor set up the pump.

If your endo cannot see you soon, perhaps you could ask his/her office if there is a CDE or nurse practitioner that can help you get started.

I agree with @rgcainmd. You should read the pump manual from cover to cover.

1 Like

Well, I have an appointment in December, but I don’t want to wait that long to get pump trained. Reading the book is a no brainer. I’ve read a good chunk of it doing my research. I’ve got two different types of infusion sets I want to try out and get stocked up before year-end. I guess I will try to sort it out with the doc over the phone.

I’m not in any way suggesting that you take action on what I’m about to say, or take the following words as medical advice:

If I were in your shoes, I’d read (thoroughly, and ask any questions you may have here or at a reputable elsewhere) the following two books (in addition to the interesting and informative manual):

Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

and

Pumping Insulin by John Walsh.

Don’t skip a single page of either book! Then start pumping if you feel comfortable and safe doing so. AFAIK, there’s no law against using an insulin pump before receiving “official” pump training. Don’t know anyone serving time in “the big house” for committing this “offense”.

5 Likes

I read Think Like a Pancreas when first diagnosed. I read the pump manual. The only thing more boring than the manual is that Pumping Insulin book. Anyway I am getting pump trained tomorrow, so everything turned out well. I have a vial of humalog in the frig and I’m ready to go!

Good luck with your pump startup. Everything will be routine sooner than you expect.

1 Like

Thanks. I can handle all the buttons, but the infusion sets and cartridge fill are a bit overwhelming. Sure it will get easier with practice.