BS going up 2 hours after waking

I find my blood sugar always rises in the morning. I take my Tresiba first and then take 0.5 unit of Fiasp. If I eat something I take another 0.5 unit shot of Fiasp. I understand our blood sugars naturally rise in the morning, so I’ve just gotten used to it…

1 Like

(I am not diabetic, still - I track my BG regularly.)

When I am in a large window of time not eating, (time-restricted eating) I find often that my BG is a bit higher than when I’m not worried about when my last meal was. The rationale for this, I’ve learned (partially from this site), is that my pancreas is like, “oh well, I guess she doesn’t need me that much,” and goes a bit dormant. Otherwise, I try to remember to check before my feet hit the floor in the AM. BG is always higher after I get out of bed.

1 Like

I try to eat 3 meals a day, but very portion size. Lots protein, healthy fat, some low carbs, can use lower insulin demands. Cannot have all fruit and veg desired, practice portion control.

That might just be your issue. If you are going to bed at 100 but had a lot of protein for dinner, protein does not peak after 1 hour, it generates a steady rise after several hours, for me the rise from protein usually starts 5-6 hours after dinner. Try skipping a few dinners as a test and you will see if your eating a lot of protein for dinner is your issue.

1 Like

I say your body is looking for morning fuel,kicking out sugar . Some people do get elevated bs from coffee,?caffeine? Nnancy

2 Likes

At nigh try to have enough carbs, to get sugar above 160, so byvnighg, not as likely to go low.

Sorry, I have no idea if you are asking me something here or trying to tell me something. Intentionally getting Blood Sugar over 160 at any time would not be considered advisable for diabetic control as that would be poor control by any normal standard.

2 Likes

Most diabetics are type 2, and most see GP who are fine with blood sugar upper link that 180. Most are not on pumps or have any alarms for lows. If a type 2 like me does not want to face a low, with no real help or warning, it’s better close to bedtime, not to go to sleep at blood sugar 130, as may go low. I inject my insulin, long term, manual.
I seem to be more able to avoid lows if bedtime blood sugar is 155 to 165. Jim
Info only, from my experience. Jim

Before I had cgm, I would be at the 150-160 range because I wasn’t able to feel lows and I had a few scares.

Now that I have cgm and my glucose is so much better controlled, I have my awareness back. So I am happy to go to bed anywhere over 60. I know my pump will make adjustments as needed.
I would prefer if it was set lower, but mine generally runs 115 or so through the night.

2 Likes

I have lived with the continuous benefit of CGM low alarms for almost 13 years now. Thinking back to before that time, I remember the crap-shoot of going to bed every night wondering if it was safe to do so.

My night-time control was fairly poor looking back now. I probably only experienced blood sugar in the 80-140 range about 50% of the time. My glucose variability was in the 50 mg/dL standard deviation range so my sugars could swing high or low and at bedtime, I was only guessing.

Three to four times each month I would wake up seeing hypo-spots in my visual field and struggling to muster enough cognitive coherence to assess and treat. Many other times I would wake up at 180+ mg/dL, foggy in the head and disappointed that I could not do better.

I understand people who live without the benefit of a CGM choosing to run their glucose higher overnight and adopting the bedtime snack habit. I would encourage them, if at all possible, to try to get a CGM to help educate them about their unique metabolic situation. Even if it’s only intermittent CGM use, it could make a big difference.

1 Like

Jim: I used to be just like you for years while I tried to convince my endo that my nighttime lows were actually brought on by injecting long-acting, Lantus or Levemir insulin and she would just insist that was nonsense. When I finally got a Dexcom CGM I proved out what I had been telling her for years, totally dropped long acting insulin and only have been taking short-acting Humalog ever since. Now I can happily go to bed with BG between 65 and 95 and never have a low BG episode at night. My nighttime low is considered 55 or below. We are all different, but with a CGM we finally have a tool to be able to fine tune our meals and insulin and stay in a range pretty much identical to a non-diabetic.

1 Like