C reactive protein

Anyone know what a c reactive protein level of 2.8 mg/l means? The lab says <1 is low, 1-3 is intermediate, and >3 is high.

Based on your description-- it means “intermediate”

Lol couldn’t resist

okay, then, what does “intermediate” mean? :slight_smile:

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a blood marker that indicate how much inflammation is in your body. Some inflammation, like when you sprain your ankle, is understandable and is the body's way of starting the healing process.

But high levels of inflammation on a chronic basis is thought to be unhealthy. Chronic inflammation has been hypothesized to play a role in heart disease and atherosclerosis, hardening of the arteries.

Do you have any active injuries? If you have any injuries that have swollen, then that could explain an elevated CRP number.

My last CRP was more than a year ago and I had a low number. I was trying to use that fact to persuade my endo that I didn't need statin drugs to lower my cholesterol. She wasn't buying it.

From my limited layman's understanding of health, I think that less inflammation is better unless there's an obvious reason for it like an injury.

This would be a good test to repeat.

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic more authoritative info.

Terry is answer is great. The only thing I might add is that allergies can cause inflammation and elevated CRP.

Yeah, I was going to say that I have allergies which I would definitely think cause inflammation, since I have a stuffy nose, eyes, cough, etc. almost constantly. I also have a slightly infected hangnail (my own fault since I bit it off, but it's been going away over the past few days, too). My GI did this test looking for things like celiac and such because I've been having stomach issues lately, but I gather from further reading that "high" for that is >10, so 2.8 isn't really all that high.

How is your eosinophilic esophagitis? I'd say that's more likely to raise your CRP than your allergies.

My GI doesn't want to do another scope yet, so I don't know how it's doing as far as eosinophil counts go. When I was diagnosed eosinophils were 25, so not overly horrible (I've read about people being in the 100s), but symptoms got a lot worse for a while after that. But now I'm using swallowed Pulmicort liquid plus avoiding foods that I seem to react to (I REALLY wish there was an accurate way to test this objectively), and my symptoms are SO MUCH better!