Can I be a reliable T1D doctor?

Hi everyone ^^

I have decided for sure that I want to be a doctor when I graduate,that’s 1,5 year far.
I've been thinking about being one long time ago,I only decided once and for all lately,one of my friends knows how much I want to be one(I always read her lab results ^^,my friends come back to me for medical advice),and she was telling me that I should check if diabetics can be doctors,that was absurd,

one:because that would make an uproar and I would hear about it.
two:Dr,Bernstein is Diabetic :)
but certainly,as it affected my abilities in math class when low,it would affect my work as a doctor,all what I'm asking is,would it decrease my ability,and if so ,how much,which way?
and for T1Ds out there,some advice would be great ^^

my general practitioner is diabetic. he was diagnosed type1 when he was in med school. in his office right next to all his medical things are two big bottles of glucose tablets haha

I know of a local doctor that is an Internist and he has Type I. Here’s a thought, why don’t you locate a doctor that has Type I and ask him/her directly?

OF COURSE a diabetic can be doctor. You may personally want to limit what you go into, such as surgery, out of concern for pt safety and yours, but there is NO reason that just because you are a diabetic you can’t be a physician.

My endocrinologist for 15 years who I LOVED was a T1 herself, and that made treatment even more awesome! She knew what I meant when I was describing my “lows” in the morning. I say you should let it drive your desire to be a physician, not hinder it!

I am an Ob/gyn doctor with type 1. It’s a challenge, but manageable! I perform surgeries and deliveries without issues, for the most part. All the nurses and staff know about my diabetes, and help me out if i’m having a problem. I’ve had a Pepsi through a straw into my mask during surgery:) And of course, my partners are there to back me up if I have a life threatening low. No better place to have one than at the hospital! I always carry glucagon, sugar tabs, and don’t start a case unless my glucose is over 140. When I am on call, I lower my basal and boluses to run a bit higher. If someone is in labor, I will just eat protein and fat and no carbs to prevent a low if an emergency comes up before I"ve been able to eat the carbs I bolused for (been there, done that!). My staff can sense a low coming on before I can!

My endo is a T1–I was in the hospital for a non-D related illnes for a month–he was there to see me all but 3 days (someone else in his office covered-shcelduled coverage)

You will bring a very desireable skill-set if thats waht you decidee to do.

BEst wishes in whatever you decide!

I don’t think the T.C.O.Y.D. —Taking Control of Your Diabetes— is in Saudi Arabia, but the co-founder of this wonderful group is a Type One Diabetic and an Endocrinology Doctor— Dr. Steven V. Edelman. The one day workshops he helps to put on are amazing because they are always informative and upbeat!!! It’s been all over the United States.

So, yes, you can be both—go for it and make the world a better place! Rebecca Rodick

Im sure you will be a wonderful and most able doctor!
I wish you the best!

I have thought about that,I haven’t chosen any specialty yet,but I;m thinking an endo or an OB,but being an OB is different from a surgeon,I mean,I could do that,right?

WOW!
you’re my idol now ^^,great to hear that,so you manage ?
I like the idea of being an OB :smiley:

thanks for all of you,I just have been thinking about it lately,the problem I guess is being on call and those night shifts,my brothers aren’t Ds and I see them when being out of a long shift,what would I do!!?