Can I sepreate my insulin shot for pizza?

Everytime I eat pizza I take my insulin . In a couple of hors I go low then 3-4 hours later I am very high . So the question is if I have to take 20 units of insulin can I split it ?

If so how long should I wait to give the second shot ? Say I took the first shot of 10 units at 1:15 when should I take the second mom was thinking 3-3:15 ,is that correct ?

Yes, you can split your shot up. If you want to split it into 3, you can do that. Timing is different for everyone. You would need to play with it & see what works for you.

Sometimes I split up the shot especially if I am eating something like pizza or chips. I think because the carbs have to break down into sugar then the 2nd wave hits much later. I take my other portion of the insulin about an hour or so later. Your body is naturally high for two hours after eating, that is for everyone so if you test within that time you will most likely get a high BG. Taking a fast acting back to back in the matter of minutes is almost like taking it at the same time and may result in you have the low and high thing anyway. Testing is the only way you will really know how to split up your dosage…Good Luck!

It sounds reasonable to me. But I have to admit that I was never able to cope with pizza when I was on shots, and therefore almost never ate it. But I had pizza for my birthday last week, and used a square wave on my pump, and it worked reasonably well, although not perfect, LOL!
Anyway, I agree with Kelly – you have to experiment, and see what works. Your idea of 2 hours afterward sounds like a good place to start.

I just checked BS again and I am 250 & I ate the pizza at 1:00 ,you otta hear my mom said that is it for pizza LOL
I guess I will have to settle for the ones she makes on the low carb tortillia. thanks agaian

You can split doses (doesn’t have to be half & half) as much as you need to. Pizza is a nightmare & not worth it. It’s a bad combo of carbs & fats that’s about impossible to calculate. For high fat foods that slow digestion, I take a couple of units upfront & the majority of the bolus several hours later.

But it is a teenagers favorite food ,But I know it is not worth it . I think I will just stay away from it . I feel like crap right now : ( Sometimes I HATE diabetes !

Tyler, check out Danny’s TAGgers group. He just posted some tips for handling pizza. Although it is designed for people with pumps, it really would help you figure out some stuff. Tell your mother you need to try a few things before giving up on it!

If you only hate diabetes SOMETIMES, you’re doing well! I hate it ALL the time! LOL!

I hear ya! Eat the toppings & not the crust. I hate taking huge insulin doses to cover any food.

I think BSC recently posted a recipe for mixing up pizza toppings. It looked pretty good.

well I am beginning to hate it more lol

My mom eats pizza on cauliflower crust its ok but not as good as real pizza I guess I could try just the toppings next time .

what is BSC Well I dont like the way I am feeling right now anytime I am high now I feel bad ,plus I think I feel bad when I take alot of insulin ,I mean a big dose .

is dannys taggers on this site

BSC is one of the members here. I know I don’t feel great when my BS is high either or take too much insulin. I feel for you!

Here is the link for the TAG group

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/tagers

Here’s a recipe to try. It’s a deep dish pizza. Very filling & rich. Carb count not included because it depends on how much sauce & the kind. My husband, not a diabetic, loves it.

Crust:
4 oz softened cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh is better than the powdered stuff in a can)
1 TBS chives
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp or more granulated garlic (more flavor than garlic powder)
2 cups shredded cheese (mozzarella & mild cheddar)

Topping:
1 cup marinara or tomato sauce
1- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
Toppings

Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C

Lightly oil a 13x9 glass baking dish

Beat together eggs & cream cheese until smooth.
Add cream, Parmesan cheese, herbs & garlic.
Put mozzarella/cheddar mix in baking dish.
Pour egg mixture over cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.

When crust is cooked, spread tomato sauce, mozzarella & any toppings on top. I sprinkle a little Parmesan, basil & some more garlic on top. Bake until bubbly.
Let stand for at least 5 minutes before slicing. .

I also found the thread BSC gave his recipe in. That was a discussion about pizza so maybe something there can also help.

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/how-do-you-bolus-for-pizza

I will show this to my mom ,thanks