Carrying Medical ID/Wearing Medical ID. Do you?

The other day at work, an Employee passed out on the floor.

No, not diabetes, not any known condition. They had been treaded for a bad spider bite, and apparently had a reaction to the meds they were given in the urgent care. Other than falling on the slate floor and some bruising, they’ll be OK.

This got me to thinking though, I am a Cheapskate. I used to belong to Medic-Alert and so on, but remembering to update ever-changing meds can get away from me. So, I had the bright idea of printing up “Business cards” One side having my name, 4 contact numbers and on the other side is a current list of my medications, allergies/blood type. I figure enough is there for EMS if they find and need this info.

Whenever I see the local EMS at the Starbucks or Coffee Bean, I show them my card and they all totally LOVE the cards. They did remind me to park my blood type and any known med allergies on them, so I did. (Ooooops) I also left a couple for my file at work and with my boss.

So, I’d forgotten to update my meds in about 2 years!

Great.

Luckily, I actually haven’t changed much. Only a slight reduction in the Synthroid, by a measly 25 mcg. The other change is the addition of a CGMS devise to my Pump and a slight decrease in TDD insulin.

So, I’m wondering if anyone else uses cards, USB drives, or remote services like Medic-Alert et al to keep their info on for the ‘Just in Case’ times of accident or natural disasters? What do you use, and why if you don’t mind me asking… Just feeling out other methodologies of keeping our needs ‘out there’ when and if needed.

I do wear an Eco watch by Citizen with Medic-Alert. I wouldn’t wear a bracelet, and this watch never needs winding or replacement batteries, so it was worth the money to me. Updating my meds online is so quick and easy. I love it. A lot of my students identify themselves with me, too, when they show me theirs. Makes them feel not so different.

I may look into the watch, it should be easy for me to see too. Off to Google with me.

That watch sounds pretty cool. I just got my med. ID bracelet not that long ago - cause at the moment, something is better than nothing. :wink: I have a card in my purse that came with the bracelet that has all the meds/medical info, phone numbers (relatives/friends and doctors) that the EMS can call. I’ll have to check out for future ID purchases. :wink:

I do too. The business cards are easy to update and carry. I ‘laminate’ them with wide postage tape and they last forever.

A few years ago I got some Medic Alert bracelets, but only wore them sporadically. Then I saw some really nice bracelet’s at http://www.laurenshope.com/. A friend of mine makes beaded bracelets and she made a few for me. I just attach the placket from my Medic Alert bracelet. I now have six bracelets in total, so I wear them as jewelery to go with my outfits. And I feel better knowing that “just in case” I am wearing one, instead of it being at home on my dresser!
Once a paramedic told me that they check all bracelets and necklaces (even if they don’t look like the regular Medic Alert stuff). Since they check your pulse at the wrist and the neck that is the best place to have your alert.

I’m a non-insulin using T2 and have never experienced a low. I have a card with all my meds listed in my purse. I also have a medical alert bracelet that I keep in my purse…except…when I am out riding my bike by myself…I wear the bracelet and take my cell phone with me. When/If my pancreas gets to the point that I begin experiencing lows, I will reconsider everything.

I began wearing my Medic Alert bracelet when I started having seizures (not related to my diabetes). There was a much higher chance that I’d find myself incapacitated, alone, and unable to communicate during the seizure.

But, let’s admit it, the bracelets are butt-ugly.

I had the good fortune to start working with a woman who made jewelry in her spare time, and I commissioned a custom bracelet from her (much as Nadine S. did). I had her create a silver & moonstone bracelet, which I loved wearing. I got compliments on it all the time. (Unfortunately it needs repair right now. pout)

Now I have many different bracelets and change them as the mood strikes me. I’m definitely much less conscientious about wearing a bracelet since I got my custom bracelets.

LOL… I’m not a cheap date… I need real gold or stainless steel. I did get a gold filled one from Medic alert, but the engraving went bye-bye in a little over a year.

I’ve seen some of the handmade ones and while pretty, some react with my skin. I guess it’s the nickel in some of the fixing, but no, did not work for me.

I’ll have to win a pot or get a heck of a raise, then will get a ‘fine jewelry’ gold medic bracelet one day.

Jenny, can you try stringing the beads (plastic or glass) on that elastic string? It will just stretch to put on, and you don’t need to have a metal clasp. Just order a stainless steel plaque from Medic Alert and put in the bracelet.

That would work. I’ll have to look into the Medic-Alert thing again.

What about a shoe tag? This looks like a great solution is you have allergys. http://www.idtags.biz/public/DiabeticMedical.html