Medical ID Bracelets (or other jewellery)

My question today is about medical id jewellery... When I was first diagnosed 25 years ago I had a medic alert bracelet but I admit I haven't worn one in over 20 years. Partly b/c I figured my pump would identify me pretty easily.

However, my endo strongly urged me to get one, citing a cyclist patient of hers who had an accident such that his pump was dislodged and therefore not helpful in identifying his diabetes.

So I've been looking into getting a necklace (there are some lovely options out there nowadays on etsy and other places that are less pricey than the official companies).

I found this article (firstaid.about.com) that says having diabetes on an alert bracelet is unnecessary since paramedics will be looking for it.

So two questions for this beautiful community...

1) Do you have a medical id bracelet/necklace/etc?
2) If so, what information do you include?

The 2nd question is b/c I am wondering if it is helpful to have both my diabetes and my personal health number (I'm in BC, Canada).

Thank you all!

I wear a MedicAlert bracelet, which obviously contains my ID number and their telephone number. My online profile with them has a complete medical history, Rx list, emergency contacts and physician information.

My bracelet contains, among other things, "Diabetes" and indicates I take Xarelto (an anti-coagulant).

Since I spend a lot of time driving and out in the 'woods', I also have a windshield sticker on my truck and I have a MedicAlert red dog tag hanging from my man bag.

Oh and I have the MedicAlert wall paper (with my member ID) on my phone's lock screen.

I'm what you'd call a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Oh and just because....I have my phone's emergency assistance feature enabled and it will automatically send an emergency message including GPS location, photos (both front and rear camera), and a brief audio recording to my wife and daughter when activated.

I've got some other medical conditions that make the cost and 'complexity' worth it. But honestly, it's more for reassurance for my wife, who would never let me out of her sight otherwise. :-)

Heck, I'd like to be able to link my pump/meter to my phone and have it automatically provide her with BG updates via text. Then she would not be bugging me six or more times a day asking how I'm doing. :-)

Yep. If you are unconscious, the whole idea of having medical ID on you, right? Your symptoms could easily be assumed to be something else entirely. A prominent indication that you are diabetic will alert medical staff to check BG much more quickly.

I've used the same one for 25 years. It is a medic-alert and all it says is "Diabetic". I've considered getting one that says "Type I diabetic", but, honestly, the only thing holding me back is the sentimental value of my current medallion! I suppose I can just engrave "type I" above the "diabetic" on this one. :)

I have a tattoo that says "TYPE 1 DIABETES" on the inside of my right wrist. I also wear a necklace that is a bit more stylish that says Type 1 Diabetes. My pump is always on my left hip. I would like to think that with all three of those things....a paramedic or medical personnel would be able to figure me out.

When I got diagnosed in 2012 my DE told me to make sure and get me a bracelet or necklace, something to show I'm diabetic and wear whatever I got. Told me that I might not be conscious and wife not be there to tell I'm diabetic. So I have one saying diabetic, name, address and phone numbers.Only time I take the bracelet off is if I'm going in for some kind of procedure that requires removal of all jewelry. Other than that it stays on me 24/7.

Tend to wear my medical dog tags all the time, actually don't think I've ever taken them off in the last 3 years! Grime wise being titanium tends to help with that. While riding I also wear a bracelet just to make sure...and the pump makes a pretty big clue to finish off the clues :P

On my long daft rides where I'm well out of contact with anyone I know for a few days I'll turn on my real time tracking. Which ok can scare family if you lose signal and it hasn't updated for a few hours and has you in a field somewhere where you took a break hehe. But trained family now to only worry if it's been for a day or so.

I started wearing medic-alert jewelry to identify me as insulin-dependent diabetic 33 years ago.

Having had a couple of 911 calls for hypos over the decades, I do agree that today most EMT's will carry blood glucose meters. (Wasn't the case 33 years ago!) Anything I can do to accelerate the right answer by having a medic-alert bracelet, I think is worth it.

Such helpful replies by all and quite a consensus endorsement so far!

Spurred by the responses here, I have ordered my necklace from etsy with my name and "Type 1 Diabetes". I toyed with adding additional information, but I don't travel much or do much extreme sporting .. unless the occasional jaywalk counts? ;-) So I figure those basic pieces of info would at least give any emergency personnel the vital info to get started.

Thanks again - and please do add your opinion if you are reading this and have any other thoughts or experiences.

I have a Road ID which is used by a lot of people - but is mostly used by cyclists. It's functional and can be pretty. I have one in pink. It has my name, birth year, home town, state, hubby's name and phone number, the it says "Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump and CGM do not discard. Because I have a friend who was taken to the ER in insulin shock and they removed her sensor and transmitter and threw them out. That would be a costly event if it should happen to me. http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=RoadID_OrderText&utm_campaign=Search&referrer=8929&gclid=CNjS1c7lm8ECFSJo7Aod1VwAVQ

I am a strong advocate of medical ID bracelets/necklaces. I have both (although I dont always wear them like I should). If you are ever involved in a car accident with serious injury, your medics need to know right away that you are diabetic (although medics aren't always good enough about checking for them, at least it gives them the chance, and someone will certainly find the tags at the hospital when they undress you). I think everyone who takes a medication or has a chronic condition or allergy should wear them because there is nothing as awesome as med tags when you find someone unconscious. Always better to write "insulin-dependent" than "diabetic" if you have the space. "Type 1" is good, too. I'm glad you specified.

I have a medicalert bracelet also with an id number and phone number. Their database has all the necessary info, family, doctors, medications/doses and so on. My bracelet is also engraved with type 1 diabetes, asthma and allergies. When I was on warfarin that was listed too. The one I wear most is a stretchy band stainless steel which is very easy to put on and remove and also super comfortable. I have a necklace also but I hardly ever wear that.

I bought a sterling bracelet and ordered an engraved charm. I added other small sterling charms.

572-charm2.JPG (999 KB)

I have a bracelet and dogtags. However, I travel quite a bit for work and got tired of dealing with them in the airport. In addition, I had one of my few scary lows while in a Dallas hotel and realized that I wasn't wearing either while in my room so I ended up getting a tattoo on the inside of my left wrist as well. I also carry a medical ID card in my wallet in addition to a laminated card with primary information for my endo.

Thanks to this post, I just ordered a sterling silver medical bracelet from Overstock.com. Gonna put it on and forget about it. Should have done it years ago. Better late than never, I guess.

When my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 on January 24, 2014, the inpatient endocrinologist spoke with us about the importance of getting a diabetes alert bracelet. He went on to mention that he had a patient, a young man in his 20s, who, like you, had "Type 1 Diabetes" tattooed on the inside of his wrist. The endocrinologist asked him what he planned to do about the tattoo once a cure for Type 1 diabetes is discovered. The young man replied, "Simple. I get the line "CURED" tattooed right after my "Type 1 Diabetes" tattoo!"

RoadID bracelets rock!

I wear a medical alert necklace. I am not a jewlery person at all but was able to find something to express the fun side of me....gotten TON of compliments on it and most don't even realize its a medical alert charm. I got it from Unique Medical ID...yea its supposed to be for kids....but I am one deep down in disguise :) http://uniquemedicalid.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=1263

I use to wear dog tags but have switched to a RoadID and it really never comes off.
First Last Name
Type 1 Diabetic
Contact Number
Contact Number
Contact Number
Insulin Pump & CGMS

I have thought about a Tattoo inside my left wrist but told my mom 27 years ago I wouldn't get one and have stuck by that.

I know a couple of people who have gotten the 'diabetic' tattoo.
What do you guys think of it?

Simple and possibly effective, if painful. I worry that if the medics cant feel the bracelet, then thy might not 'see' your wrist while they are checking your pulse, especially if you were in a car accident after dark. Although, the inside of the wrist is discreet enough so that everybody and their brother doesn't see it...I dunno.

How would you feel about having a 'diabetic' tattoo in a job interview? I guess you just wear long sleeves...

I have only known 2 people with the 'diabetic' medical identifier tattoo.

The first was the dish boy at the Chinese restaurant where I worked in high school. One night, just after we closed down shop, there was a robbery at the pet supply store next door. The poor dish rat was spotted taking insulin, eating Chinese food in his car, and the police thought the syringes were for drugs and arrested him for questioning. That week, he got a 'diabetic' tattoo all down the length of his arm. I always thought he might regret that tattoo some day...you think?

The second was a competitive swimmer. She got one on her ankle, which I don't think anyonw would ever see, unless she was in a bathing suit.