Catch 22

No soda for me and moderate on the coffee & tea. No real chocolate, some peanuts and peanut butter and other nut. I will keep an eye on it, thanks.

I can't give you any recommendation about diet, but hubby inherited his kidney stone problem from his father.

We moved to a new area and the urologist he saw told him to mix 4 ounces of lemon juice in 1/2 gallon of water. He is to drink this in place of water. My husband thinks if that much is good, twice that much is better. He does add some sugar because it is tart.

He is also taking an herb which I will be glad to pass on if you want.

In the past he has had nausea and pain when he was passing a stone and it would last for a number of days. Since he started the lemon juice and added the herb, he may have a little pain that lasts one day and several days later pass the stone. Most of the time he doesn't even know he passes it until it hits the toilet.

His stones are calcium. We had them analyzed.

I'll also echo magnesium.
Gerri has it stated well.

I've had stones in the past, but have gone 4 years without.
The two contributing factors that I suspect are:
Increased fluid intake (~96 fl. oz. a day)
I started to supplement with magnesium.

Extra Virgin Olive oil is quite a different animal from the various vegetable oils out there, and is in keeping with his diet. I use olive oil for salads, and coconut oil in cooking, and butter on veggies.

To the other points you raise - one can eat lots of greens and certain other vegetables. Fruits are not essential to our health, though hard to give up. When I am on the low side, blood sugar-wise, I do have raisins, prunes, grapefruit, or whatever is available, instead of the more scientifically proven glucose tablets.

My husband has calcium kidney stones too. The urologist told him to put 4 ounces of lemon juice in 1/2 gallon of water and drink that instead of water. He puts a little sugar in it and has great results with it We figure the acid must dissolve the sharp barbs and make them easier to pass. Most of the time he never know he has them until he passes them.

Sorry, I didn’t realize I had already posted this information.

Just found that there are calcium oxalates in my urine . Been drinking lots of water and also avoiding nuts spinach and high oxalates food . Got a a slight pain in my right lower abdomen .Plan to get an ultrasound of the abdomen done .Can stones be detected thus ?. Been type 2 for 28 years

CT scan is the most reliable, ultrasound is OK for follow up. They missed an 11 mm kidney stone in my ureter a couple of years ago on the my initial ultrasound

Thanks . Will get a CT scan done Before that I will get my urine examined again to see if it’s free of calcium oxalates This I plan to get done after 3 months of first detection . Or maybe it’s too soon and I should wait for some more weeks ?Thanks

How long was it before your stone passed from your system ? Was any treatment advised ?

11 mm stone, is almost 1/2" No way to pass that one. It had to be blasted with a laser and then they inserted a basket to pull out the pieces and then they put in a stent for a few weeks to pass through any residual pieces. I would pee blood after any strenuous exercise but my ultrasound would look normal as urine found its way to circulate around the stone. The CT scan had no problem showing a rock of that size.

That’s quite a process to go through …Must have been painful too .I am hoping they don’t detect a stone for me . Will have to wait and see Thanks for your response