Celiac and Type 1

So I’ve been type 1 since 7th grade, so for the past 14 years. Over the past few months I’ve been really active, thus having to increase my caloric intake significantly. I have been eating high fiber, low glycemic index foods and have no bumped up my carbs at each meal by 30% or so to keep up with my metabolism. Over the past few weeks I’ve been feeling, I hate to say it, super gassy and bloated. My stools haven’t been what they have been in the past. I’ve had terrible stomach aches and can hear my stomach working, although it is never the growls of being hungry. I’ve heard a little about Celiac and know it is more common in T1 than the general population. I’m close to going and talking to my doctor about getting tested because it’s now starting to affect how I feel at work. Any ideas???

The funny thing about celiac symptoms is that just about every symptom can be a celiac symptom. Have your dr run a blood test (can’t tell you the specific name but do your research as some tests are better than others) and if that is positive have an endoscopy to confirm. Don’t change your diet until after testing is complete.

I had similar symptoms, but I just had two antibody tests for celiac. Both came back negative. Does anyone know the complete list of tests?
My doctor told me that he could only run two of the following four tests, which I was told was needed:
EMA (Immunoglobulin A anti-endomysium antibodies)
AGA (IgA anti-gliadin antibodies)
AGG (IgG anti-gliadin antibodies)
tTGA (IgA anti-tissue transglutaminase)

Are all necessary?

Hi Kristin,
The most important of the blood tests is the EMA. I think the other one is the IGA, (anti-gliadin antibodies) or AGA. These will give you an idea, but the most definititive tests are the biopsys of the small bowel. This is done during an endoscopy by an experienced GI doctor. The most important thing is not to restrict the wheat or gluten before the blood work is done.
My daughter is not offically classified as a true celiac because her blood work came back as one point away from the diagnosis. But when the doctor did an upper and lower endoscopy, he did biopsys. Her biopsys clearly show the damage done to her small bowel. She was in the hospital a couple of times in very bad shape before the tests were run. Now we are EXTREMELY careful with her diet for the past year and she is doing so much better.
If you are done with all the blood work you are permitted to have and cannot get the endoscopy then i would suggest getting all the wheat and gluten out of your diet. If you feel better without it then just continue without it. It definitely isn’t an easy diet to follow, but it is better than the alternative. I wish you much good luck. My daughter is also fructose intolerant so I cook diabetic and gluten free. If I can help with anything I will be happy to.