No to CGMS in theatre, because I’m paranoid about getting electrocuted! I’ve had 3 hand surgeries in the past 2 years, two under general anaesthetic, one last week under local.
I am not actually a huge fan of CGMS, I hate being nagged by my pump, but I now use Freestyle Libre and love it. I find it quicker to track and more accurate than Medtronic.
I wore the Libre sensor last week and the surgeon used bipolar diathermy. No shocks, no destruction of the sensor.
By keeping my levels nice, I have healed almost completely, although my surgeon suggests another week before I start aikido training again, he doesn’t want his pretty scar disrupted…
I am not so sure about mono polar diathermy used in more major operations. I have actually zapped myself while performing a Caesarean, and it hurt (had a tiny hole in my glove).
I really cannot be bothered sorting out the physics of it all, but can someone with more cleverness than I possess at the moment ascertain if the current would travel to the sensor? If properly earthed with a sticky plate?