Question about leaving Dexcom on and working during surgery

I am having carpel tunnel and thumb surgery on Tuesday, May 26. I would like to leave my Dexcom on and working. Does anyone have experience with that? Since the sensor is in my thigh, I can’t see that it would be in the way. Any response is appreciated.

Thanks.

AlexJ

Alex - Where do you intend to keep the receiver during surgery? Are you asking someone, like the anesthesiologist, to monitor it. If all you’re asking is to just keep the sensor in place, that shouldn’t be tough to get the surgical team to agree since it is away from the surgical site.

There’s usually a pre-surgery interview conducted with the hospital. That would be the time to raise this issue. Did you do that yet?

I’ve had a few outpatient procedures since starting on my CGM (Dexcom). I have explained to the “gas-man” what it is, what it does, and why I insist on keeping it on - with the receiver where the OR folks can here the alerts. Afterwards, every gas-person has said they thought it was cool, awesome and if it alerted, they did a fingerstick . I have yet to meet a gas-person who didn’t appreciate the help keeping track of my bg.

1 Like

Hi Alex. I’m an OR nurse, and am a pumper and CGM user myself. Like others have said, talk to the anesthesiologist (he/she may call the evening before surgery, or you may talk to him/her the day of surgery) and inform him your expertise with the pump and CGM. The surgery you’re having shouldn’t be too long, so it shouldn’t be a problem at all. I had a 2hr shoulder surgery and kept the pump and CGM attached. The anesthesiologist was comfortable with the information that I gave him (I have a Minimed w/sensor). While you’re under anesthesia, if the anesthesiologist feels the need, he may use a meter to check your bg. However, since your surgery is probably relatively short and it’s possibly not even a general anesthetic (maybe heavy sedation), it shouldn’t be an issue. Anyway, just talk to the anesthesiologist before surgery and work it all out. Also, keep in mind that you probably have more knowledge about your own diabetes than any doctor or nurse that isn’t also a Type 1 diabetic. I hope all goes well :slight_smile:

I recently had a minor operation under general anaesthetic. The procedure took around 45 mins and was carried out as day surgery.

I left my Dexcom on and pump connected the whole time. The anaesthesiologist and her assistant carefully went over the procedure for accessing my Dexcom readings on the pump screen (I am using a Vibe). I also showed them how to suspend the pump in an emergency although we then decided that it would be better simply to disconnect at the infusion set (I showed them how).

The objective was to have my BG at ~ 8 mmol/L and running flat just prior to the op. In reality I woke up at around 3.8 and even with a TB it was only around 5.8 just before surgery. The nurses and anaesthesiology team took at least 4 or 5 fingersticks in the couple of hours between arrival at the hospital and going under. My pump was set to a TB of -50% for the duration of the op.

Apart from the minor low BG beforehand, everything went like clockwork. Dexcom output sat at around 7-8 for the rest of the day - Purrfect -

Joel