Changed my breakfast BS is still spikeing HELP

alright hear is what is going on i had been eating 1/4 cup oatmeal a tsb of peanutbutter and 1 cup milk 2% about 35 carbs never really checked BS levels after eating on a tight buget with my strips so i did the other day and it had went up a lot in the 300s… so i have scaped the oats for 1 cup glucerna cereal and 1 cup almond breeze milk now this only comes out to be 35 to 38 carbs and my BS levels went from 165 to 300 in a hour now i thought that glucerna was suposed to minimize BS spikes. did anyone have simler results ?. dos anyone have a heathy breakfast that is also 35 to 40 carbs ? so if u can help write back or just let me know about your experinces
"ZMONEY OUT"

I can’t eat any kind of cereal without being spiked way up, no matter what the actual I: C ratio is. Also one cup of milk is a lot. I eat eggs for breakfast. You can eat any kind of eggs, omelette, etc. with all the ingredients you want. I can eat one piece of thick bread. I’m a vegetarian so I don’t know about things like ham, sausage, etc but I believe I have heard people mention that being fine too. Yeah, there are lots of cereals meant to be “diabetes friendly”. They work for some people but many of us just need to stick with protein at breakfast. My breakfast: eggs with whatever, the one piece of bread and milk for a cappuchino (1/3 C) comes just under 30 carbs and keeps me under 140.

Hey Z,

I wrestled with many different cereals and almost all of them spiked me. Breakfast is the hardest meal for me concerning BG spikes and then it gradually gets better throughout the day. I cant eat oatmeal as it spikes me to about 200 and stays there for a couple of hours.

Right now I am eating 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal with a tablespoon of flax meal, walnut pieces, crushed almonds and chopped strawberries. The Fiber One is 24 carbs per 1/2 cup but has 14g fiber so works out to about 10 net carbs… I eat this with one cup of unsweetened Almond Milk which only has 1g carbs…

I really like this mix and will stay with it until something changes in my numbers. I cant eat eggs all the time and save those for weekends…

Hope this helps… Paul

Have you tried bolusing a little earlier? Someone suggested I try bolusing 15 min before I eat and that has helped my 1 hour spikes. I have also stopped testing 1 hour after, I wait because you WILL see a spike in BS at that point, the insulin needs time to work on the food. I always wait at least 2 1/2 hours after eating, I have a 3 hour active insulin time. Are your numbers better after eating at other times of day?

Breakfast is more likely to cause problems than any other meal, thanks to the “dawn phenomenon” - which is early morning insulin resistance. You may need to shoot more.

IMHO take most claims by product manufacturers with a (large) grain of salt. I’ve found various types of sugars in many foods “suitable for diabetics”, often in large quantities. Even a local (NZ) powdered artifical sweetener used maltodextrin (rapidly converts to glucose) as a filler. Didn’t find that one out until my BG went sky high and I checked the box very closely.

Low GI foods will cause a big rise in T1’s like us - they make take a little more time to arrive (10-15 mins from my testing), but all that glucose still hits faster than any insulin can cover it.

Personally I’m on Bernstein’s low carb system, so I make an omlette with bacon or ham, cheese, brocolli and spinach. Its got veges, good fats and 6g carbs. 2.5 units of Novorapid, and my post meal spike is 5.5 or so (~100).

I can’t have all those carbs at breakfast… I always spike. I stick to eggs, and a slice or two of low carb multi grain toast and Smart Balance margarine, or peanut butter (or almond butter). Even Fiber One Bran, which is the cereal with the least carbs I have found so far, still spikes me a bit in the mornings.

Are you sure you don’t need a different carb/insulin ratio in AM? I use more insulin/carb in the AM, with a lower basal rate.

Unfortunately, oatmeal and all other cereals are a thing of the past for me, and cereal was one of my favorite foods. I tried to experiment with low-glycemic oatmeal and small quantities of cereal, but it got to a point where the quantities were so small, I figured what’s the point?

I pretty much keep it to eggs and low carb toast. I’m with Lizmari, my usual breakfast is low carb toast with peanut butter, especially on days when I work and I’m in a rush. A couple of hours later I’m able to snack on an apple. This usually gets me to lunch with no problems.

Don’t believe the Glucerna ads, or most foods marketed for diabetics. They’re just looking to make a buck. Glucerna cereal (& their protein candy bars) have fructose & other sugars. They’re not healthy for anyone. There are many products that falsely claim to not raise BG. You’re a Type 1, so remember that most products are marketed for Type 2s & will effect you differently.

There’s no need to eat 35-40 carbs for breakfast. Despite what dieticians & the ADA tells us, this is too high carb to control BG as you’ve seen.

Many diabetics are carb sensitive/insulin resistant in the morning. Eating high carbs for breakfast is not helpful.

Eat protein for breakfast & try to keep carbs at a minimum.

Oats and other cereal have been known to spike up blood sugar (at least from my experience). Try lower carbs and higher protein.

1 egg white omelet about 16 calories, 0.1 grams of fat, 0.2 carbs or 1 poached egg: 71 calories, 5.0 grams of fat, 0.4 carbs
1 slice mixed grain toast about 75 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 12.3 carbs
1 slice of ham about 46 calories, 2.4 grams of fat, 1.1 carbs or 3 slices bacon: 103 calories, 7.9 grams of fat, 0.3 carbs

thanks for all the info it looks to me you all eating eggs and toast will have to try it and report back

My son eats 3 choc. chip egos…4 strips of bacon…1/4 no sugar syrup, 1c milk and puts Readi-whip on all three egos. A grand total of 75 carbs. So far he is a 1/12 in for breakfast and 1/15 for all other meals. He is fine with this. Does this mean he is a lucky one? Or is it because he is still in his honeymoon period and won’t be able to do this later?

Maybe I’m lucky like your son. I eat whatever I want for breakfast, 30 - 75 carbs, 1/13 ratio instead of 1/15. There is a trick with timing, as so many breakfasts seem to not have the fat and protein to slow digestion, so taking the insulin 15 or more minutes before eating as was mentioned before helps.

Z Money- whether you get your carbs from lower glycemic index foods, or higher, they are still carbs and the digestion rate will matter, but your body would need insulin for them either way. If you are eating a 40 carb breakfast and consistantly having to correct with a pretty similar dose of insulin, I would call your dr and see if a dose change is needed. Unless your body is deciding to be flat out insulin resistant in the morning, you should be able to find a dose of insulin that will take in the carbs. Or try working out before breakfast to jump start the insulin reception.