Charcot Foot Deformity

Hello, I'm curious to find out if anybody with Type 1 has a Charcot Foot Deformity and if you had surgery to repair it...

we have several discussions about this, here's one with links to others
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/charcot-marie-tooth-disease

Nancy, I just went and read the links Marie B recommended. I wanted to let you know that I had Charcot in my right foot about a year ago. I was in a light cast for about 5 months, with a horrible boot over it. I bought myself a very light wheelchair that I could pack in the back of my car, so I managed to stay off the foot. I had absolutely no pain. I have peripheral neuropathy up to my knees. The worst part for me was the damnable boot. I ended up with no damage to my foot, however. I think the reason for this is that my cousin had Charcot two years before and I learned from her situation. She was told she had a bunion until her foot was in such bad shape it was obvious that was a wrong diagnosis. As soon as my foot swelled, I made an emergency appointment with my podiatrist, so it was treated immediately.

I was told, and keep reading from others, that this is caused by long-time, uncontrolled diabetes. That was not so either in my case or my cousin's. I had been diagnosed diabetic 4 years previously (T2) and got my blood sugar under control immediately. My highest A1C in 5 years was 5.5. My cousin was not diagnosed T2 until 2 years AFTER she had her bout with Charcot.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the surgery, neither my cousin nor I have had surgery. Her foot is flat as a pancake, but has stabilized. She wears custom made shoes, but does not have to wear a boot.

I just wanted to let you know that Charcot is not always The End. The discussions on Marie B's link were pretty depressing. I feel so sorry for anyone who has this.