Charcot foot

Can anyone with charcot foot please share with me, I am having a difficult time. Thanks

Vince

Here’s a previous discussions https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/charcot-marie-tooth-disease.

My cousin and I have both had Charcot foot. Her episode was 4 years ago. It was initially diagnosed as a bunion and went untreated long enough to cause permanent damage to her foot. Mine was caught in time, stabilized by a soft cast and removable boot, and I have experienced no damage. It was explained to me that Charcot foot is the result of neuropathy. Something triggers a reaction in the foot - a blow, an infection - the veins are triggered to open. Because of the neuropathy, there is no corresponding trigger to make the veins constrict, they stay open and the blood continues to rush through the foot, washing calcium out of the bones. (This sounds simplistic, I haven’t read a more scientific explanation, it’s just what the doc told me.) After a while the bones soften. Because you have reduced feeling in your foot, you keep walking on it and the bones collapse. That’s what happened to my cousin.

What’s interesting is they say this is the result of many years of uncontrolled high blood sugar. My cousin was not even diabetic at the time. After 4 years of limited walking, she is. My A1C was 9.2 when I was first diagnosed as a diabetic 4 years ago. In three months on a low carb diet it was 5.3 and has never been over that since. I got Charcot just this January. So, I was neither an uncontrolled diabetic for very long, nor has my blood glucose level been high for the past 3 years. This leads me to wonder if there is another cause for this condition.

There are 2 things that have troubled me about my bout with Charcot. First, no tests other than xrays were ever done. From the first, the xrays have shown no damage. After the first week, the swelling went right down and my foot looked normal. Nevertheless, I have had to wear the huge, uncomfortable boot for 6 months and limit my walking. When I asked the podiatrist how he was able to determine which stage I was in, and whether it was truly Charcot, he said, “I can tell by looking.” I could never determine what he saw that required my wearing the boot for 6 months. This was interesting also because a doctor in the same office diagnosed one of my friends with Charcot a few weeks after me and he was told he didn’t have to wear the boot after 2 weeks because his foot "looked OK."

Having seen the damage my cousin has suffered, I’m not going to take a chance.