Cocoa-Peanut Butter Gelatin Dessert

I call this a dessert, since it has a sweetener added. But in truth I developed the recipe as something to eat for breakfast. I’m so very carb sensitive for breakfast, so am limited in what I can eat then. But after my last blood tests came back with the highest total cholesterol I’ve ever had, I decided to give up my two jumbo eggs a day for breakfast temporarily and see if lowering my dietary cholesterol would help any. At any rate, I’m trying this for breakfast a couple of days a week now. And since I’ve always been a Reese’s peanut butter cups fan, the chocolate-peanut butter taste is a hit with me for snacks at any time day or night.

3/4 cup unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup cold water
2 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 lb. 4% cottage cheese
5/8 cup creamy peanut butter
2½ cups 2% milk
6 tbsp. cocoa
6 tbsp. Truvia

Chop peanuts and set aside. Soften the gelatin in the cold water and set aside. In a food processor, blend the cottage cheese and the peanut butter to a smooth consistency. In a large bowl, mix the Truvia and cocoa together thoroughly to separate the cocoa particles. Heat the milk to near-scalding temperature and add the softened gelatin, stirring until it dissolves. Add the hot milk-gelatin mixture to the cocoa-Truvia mixture, a little at a time at first and stir to mix. Gradually add the rest of the milk-gelatin mixture and blend. Add the cottage cheese-peanut butter mixture and mix until well blended.

Refrigerate until partially gelled, about 1-1½ hours. Stir in the chopped peanuts and transfer to serving dishes or refrigerator storage containers.

Makes 11 five-ounce servings. Each serving has 231 calories, 10.3 g carbs, 14.8 g fat, 18.1 g. protein, 107 mg calcium

3 Likes