Coconut and Buckwheat Pancakes from Further Food

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Servings: 2

INGREDIENTS
5 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2-1 very ripe banana (depending on your desired sweetness)
1 chia seed egg (1 tablespoon ground chia seeds and 3 tablespoons water)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk
2 tablespoons water (plus any extra required as mix thickens)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup blueberries (chopped)
1/4 cup strawberries (chopped)
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or alternate cooking oil)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Begin by making your chia egg in a mixing bowl. After it begins to clump, add your other wet ingredients and stir to mix them well. (If the banana isn’t super ripe, I suggest microwaving it for 15-30 seconds until it is easy to mash.)

2. Next, drop in the flours, baking powder and spices. Be warned that this mix is extremely thick – feel free to add more liquid until it reaches your preferred consistency. (I also add water to the mix as I cook the pancakes, since the chia seeds continue to thicken with time.)

3. Add chopped fruits into batter.

4. Heat up pan on med/high with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil.

5. Once the oil melts and the pan sizzles, drop the heat down to 4 and plop your first circle of batter (about 1 tablespoon of mix).

6. Sprinkle the fruits in the dough, and after thirty seconds or so, switch the heat to low.

7. Allow the pancakes to cook for 1-2 minutes (or until nicely browned on the bottom), flip and repeat.

8. After your cooked beauties hit the plate, resist the urge to devour (them all, anyway) and decorate! My favorite toppings are extra fruit, coconut Greek yogurt and swirls of nut butter. To upgrade your toppings, try sautéing the fruits with a little coconut oil before sprinkling them on top. Enjoy!

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Per Serving: Calories: 347; Total Fat: 25g; Saturated Fat: 16g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 1327mg; Potassium: 275mg; Carbohydrate: 38g; Fiber: 18g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 9g
Nutrition Bonus: Iron: 15%; Calcium: 14%

2 Likes

Wow, Emily. I know this may have not been your intent, but thanks for referencing furtherfood. I didn’t know about it. It’s pretty awesome!

1 Like

It WAS the intent, @stevenheikkila! I think it’s a great resource, and I’m glad to have brought it to your attention :slight_smile: