Playing around with Pancakes

I’ve low-fat/low-sodium’d/whole-grained the general recipe from Better Homes & Gardens, still trying to get that really rich buttermilk taste Dad used to get years ago making up the IHOP just-add-water buttermilk pancake mix with whole milk…

I’m working on reducing the carbs in this recipe as well, but beyond replacing the rest of the whole-grain flour with soy flour (which looks like it should work), that’s going to interfere with the buttermilk taste (most of the simple sugars are from the skim milk and the powdered buttermilk).

Serves 4 moderately

Dry ingredients:

• 3/4 c (85 g) soy flour
  • 3/4 c (85 g) whole-grain flour (your choice of grain)
  • 1 T (14 g) Featherlite sodium-free baking powder
  • 3/8 c (46 g) powdered buttermilk
  • 1/4 t - 1 t dried, ground seasoning (pepper, cinnamon and cloves, nutmeg, chili powder, etc.) to taste

Wet ingredients:

• 1 extra large egg (~65 g)
  • 1 white of extra large egg
  • 1 1/4 c skim milk
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract or other flavor extract, or grated citrus zest, if desired

Cooking spray, extra-virgin olive oil, butter, or preferred cooking fat. Only a small amount is needed to cook the pancakes.

1. Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  2. In a second, smaller bowl, whisk the egg and egg white until well-beaten and the yolk is completely mixed in.
  3. Add the skim milk to the egg, whisking until well-mixed.
  4. Add in any wet flavoring to the bowl with the eggs and milk.
  5. Heat the griddle (or skillet); coat lightly with cooking spray/oil/butter/fat
  6. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; stir just until mixed. You should hear and see the chemical rising action.
  7. Use a tablespoon or serving spoon to ladle out a scant 1/8 c batter for each "silver dollar" (4"/13 cm) pancake, or 1/4 c batter for each 7-8" (18-20 cm) pancake.
The pancake will lift easily with a pancake turner (spatula) when the bottom has cooked and it is ready to be flipped.

Makes about 24 4" pancakes, probably about 12 full-sized pancakes.

Nutritional information per serving:

Calories 221
Protein 21 g
*Carbohydrate 33 g

• Fiber 8 g
  • Sugar 11 g (from the lactose in the milk)
  • Fat 2 g
  • Saturated 0.5 g
  • Cholesterol 63 mg
    *Sodium 174 mg
    Iron 17 % RDA
    Calcium 54 % RDA

*Does not include nutritional value of cooking fat or any toppings (e.g., butter, syrup, etc.)

Notes:
So far it looks like this recipe should work gluten-free by substituting soy flour for the rest of the whole-grain flour.
I’ve not tried it with soy milk, so I don’t know how it will work lactose-free (one would of course need to eliminate the powdered buttermilk).

I get the sodium-free baking powder from one of the local health food stores around here, but I’ve just found out that Kosher for Passover baking soda is based on the same potassium-based chemical reaction – so if your local supermarket has a large Passover section, you might find something appropriate there. (Note: if you are sensitive to potato starch, sodium-free and low-sodium baking powders do use potato starch as a filler. While we are talking about relatively small amounts, you may need to take this into consideration. Also note that if you are using commercial baking powder, you may need to add salt to create the correct chemical rising reaction.)

Mesquite flour may be hard to find, but it’s another low-carb alternative to regular flour. You can use it for up to half of any recipe. It tastes sweeter because of the hint of mesquite-smoky flavor, and it’s higher in fiber but lower in carbs.

Mesquite flour is also a good stand-in if you’re frying chicken. I mix mesquite & mustard flour into my flour dredge to cut down on carbs and add flavor.

I have yet to see mesquite flour in any stores – not even Whole Foods or the local health food stores. It’s available online from a variety of places, though.

Several recipes here, including pancakes:
http://www.desertusa.com/lil/mesquite.html

I’ve not heard of mesquite flour before, but it sounds interesting… thinking that would work nicely with a bit of chili powder (or ground dried chilis, or minced fresh chilis) and cinnamon for seasoning, maybe a touch of ground achiote (annato) and the barest hint of cocoa powder…

Here's a different pancake recipe (from the I breathe...I'm hungry Website). They are amazing!

For four 6-inch pancakes

Ingredients:

2 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
1 packet stevia sweetener
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Put all ingredients in a blender or magic bullet. Blend until smooth. Let rest for 2 minutes so the bubbles can settle. Pour 1/4 of the batter into a hot pan greased with butter or pam spray. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.