Coffee spiking levels

Hi Diane, i’m actually brandy new to pumping… so new i’m only jacking in to saline right niw 8) I start hitting the insulin on Thursday. but i’ll be paying attention to the basals as soon as i’m ‘live’ . thanks for the suggestion!

I do not get the extra high’s on the few (woefully few) mornings that i do not drink the coffee… 8) (also not saying this is scientiffic fact or anything like that, just an observation) is it possible that the caffine is stimulating the Liver to drop more glucose??

Really! hmmm i’m the same, i stopped eating breakfast b/c i thought it was sending me high… i’m going to have to try this. thanks for the idea!

This is really interesting, I’ve never had my BG spike from drinking coffee, whether black, with cream, splenda, or half and half, iced or regular. I am T2 (and i nevet put sugar in my coffee) and I drink a strong cup in the morning within 30 minutes of waking up, possibly another cup by noon and then half decaf/half regular iced coffee by 3pm. Do you all measure within 2 hours of drinking it? Or should the timing be sooner, like 1 hour since it’s liquid?

Mmmmm it makes a huge difference to me every morning. I have to have my coffee or look out, this week on a single morning I had a fasting BS of 152 in the am. I had one cup with non dairy creamer and 1 sweet & low a total of two carbs, well at a two hour BS check after ingesting my morning fix my BS went to 378 so I bolused for that number + a low carb lunch to get it back in range. I am a T1 for 25 years and have been having trouble with my scale over this past winter I am also post surgical @ four weeks which is playing havoc with me also :((((

Checking this a.m. to see if it’s DP. Just now it was around 115 after not eating for 7 hours of sleep. Noticed yesterday after a mid afternoon coffee it went to 138 for a hour then dropped to it’s (what has become) normal low 100’s. Something to this for sure,

thanx for all the feedback

Big Daddy

I definitely notice a spike after drinking coffee. So much so that I stopped having it on a regular basis. It was worse in the morning. My sugars are much easier to control if I avoid coffee.

(It’s not the milk!)

if I dont bolus for about 10 carbs or so, I will shoot up about 100 points, crazy, I know, its just coffee, very little sugar free creamer, never underestimate the crazy diabetes world

Yes coffee really spikes my BG.

Have been watching it now for several mornings. It now is spiking in the a.m. for no apparent reason at all, whether I eat a snack in the middle of the night, or not, whether I drink coffee, or not. Whether I breath or not, you get the picture

One thing is for sure, I’m not setting my watch by this condition they call diabetes

Big D

Didn’t drink coffee for several months and all I noticed was that morning spike. Have been having a cup a day and dealing with it. Overall levels are better even with the once a day spike. Maybe isn’t healthy, I don’t know. Very rarely goes over 160,

I’m lucky I think

I’m a coffee nut. I travel the world learning about it on vacation. Roast my own. Import it. And drink gallons at all times of the day and night. Oh and btw I’m a type 1. So what I’ve found is i personally need 1 whole unit for a 12 to 14 oz coffee with a drop of milk in it in the am. After that it’s a free food no insulin the rest of the day. It’s probably the dawn phenom and shotty insulin resistance in the am. Good luck and have a cuppa for me.

It’s the caffeine. I had to switch to decaf and sugerless creamer.

Gina… me too! and I admit I drink it for the CAFFEINE…hate to give up one of the few vices I have left:)

Same problem. Fasting morning glucose is usually around 120…after 1 cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer and no sweetner, blood sugar will rise as much as 50 points. Frustrating.

Thanx for the feedback. Question, Why does coffee spike ot but I can drink rock star recovery drink (no sugar) tons of caffeine, ect. without the same effect?

Never bolus for coffee i generally use soya milk and it is fine