Colonoscopy

Has anybody had this test? How do you adjust basal rates to get through the prep? Any tips would be very much appreciated.

You should not have to adjust basal rates for the colonoscopy. I have done several and have been on shots and 2 different pumps. All is well. The nurses check your BS before and after anyway, so you can adjust if needed. Basal rates should just hold you in your goal range, not allow BS to fall too low or too high. As far as prep is concerned, you will be drinking a lot of low carb liquids so you just need to test a lot to make sure yor BS doesn’t go haywire. I find jello and sports drinks helpful (clear types). If you find problems with BS, then adjust at that time. Everyone is different, but these tips work for me. Good luck. The procedure does not last long (if Dr did not tell you). I also always have them put me to sleep as I don’t want to watch.

While fasting, check your BG every hour or so and adjust accordingly. You may have to reduce the basel if it’s too high.

I had one done about 3 years ago and I did not have to do anything different. I left my basal as they were and did not have any problems. After all, if your basal is fine, you should not even have a low BG all day. I did not. I did have some blue gatorade in the house just in case. It is not a big deal, you will be fine. Just make sure you check your BG right before you have it done. It takes about an hour the whole process. Hope every thing is fine!

Thanks so much for all the good advice and encouraging words. I guess I’m making it a bigger deal than it is. It’ll be great to get it behind me…hehe, get it, behind me!!

I met with my endo the day prior to my test. My biggest problem was I went a bit low during the cleansing procedure & had to gulp some extra white grape juice. I left my pod on during the procedure & had no problem at all. good luck!

That low during the cleansing is what I am worried about; I bottomed out last night for no apparent reason. So I’ll stock up on white grape juice. Thanks for the tip!

It still amazes me how differently diabetics seem to respond to the same situation. For what it may be worth to you, I’ll tell you how I responded. The first time I was scheduled for the procedure I did not lower my basal & experienced several really low bg’s after drinking about half of the required NASTY liquid (I think it was PEG or NuLYTELY) & was nauseated to the point that I thought I would start vomiting as well. I had to cancel. This clinic really was not able/interested in giving me much guidance beforehand. I decided to try another clinic & speak to my endo instead of the educator for guidelines. The doctor suggested lowering the basal to 80% when fasting & to test frequently in case it needed to be lowered even further. The second clinic required a preliminary appointment just to prepare you with any & all the info & guidance you might need; they also prescribed Mirlax in Gatorade which amounted to HALF the amount of liquid to drink & was EASY/PLEASANT to drink. This time I had no problems with nausea, low bg’s, or anything else! The procedure the next day was also easy. The doctor decided to give me a saline drip without sugar . Again, no problelms. When I next need this procedure I won’t have any anxiety. Good luck!

When my son had his wisdom teeth out last month, per his endo we temp’d his basal down 80% overnight since if he was low in the am he could not have anything to eat/drink to bring it back up before the surgery. We scheduled the first surgery of the day. He was still a little low (82) in the am, even with the stress, due to also exercising/playing with friends until midnight - his last chance to eat or drink.

To compensate, the dr. had the nurse hang dextrose instead of saline for his IV just in case the surgery ran longer than expected. We corrected a little with his milkshake after surgery but he was still only about 120 after the 45 minute surgery. I guess we could have also suspended for a while but this worked for us.

so??? how did it go??? did you have it done already???

No, it would be tomorrow but I’ve been playing nurse for my husband who just had bilateral knee replacements. I’ve been having lows every evening just from all the ‘helping’ so I was sure I’d never get thru the prep. Rescheduled for next Wed but I’m a designer and have two clients who want to meet and next Wednesday is their only day. Then I read the very different experience of annecy [i hope you can read that story] and now am rethinking having the procedure at a facility where they have no idea how to work with pump users. My husband has had many colonoscopies and has been very nauseated from the icky prep drinks. Think I’ll call my endo tomorrow. Thanks for checking on me; I’ll keep ya’ll posted on this very important and fun test!!!

I knew there was a bigger reason that I cancelled the test tomorrow other than nursing my husband who is just home from bilateral knee replacements; my bs is barely keeping up with that much less adding prepping for a colonoscopy. I reschedule for next Wed but now have a conflict with that date. After reading your experience [they gave me NuLytely; my husband has been pretty miserable prepping on that and other stuff] I’m calling my endo tomorrow and insisting on the Gatorade/Mirlax mix. I have a hard time drinking any liquid in large amounts so this alternative sounds perfect for me. I also like the idea of lowering the basal by 20%. If I don’t eat enough protein at a meal, I pay for it later with a nasty low so I don’t see how I’d get thru a day of fasting. Rather run high, test a lot and correct. I was so disappointed that the Digestive Doc at the prelim appt had no clue how pumps work & no idea how diabetics get thru his procedure. He said he would call my endo who I talked to about doing the procedure a few years ago. He advised waiting since I had no indications or history so we never talked about basal adjustments etc. Thanks so much for sharing : )

Lucky boy to have a mom by his side that understands pumping & buys him a milkshake! Appreciate the input. Did you turn the basal down 80% taking only 20% of the normal basal rate or turn down 20% taking 80% of the normal basal?

hope everything turns out okay with you and your husband! I guess everybody is different! Will keep you in my prayers :smiley:

We turned the basal down 20% overnight from midnight until 8am when he had to get up for the surgery. The milkshake was actually recommended for the swelling of the gums but, in this case, it worked to bring his BG up also.

My son sometimes skips dinner when he is not hungry after hockey and the CDE confirmed that his basal/bolus ratios are set assuming that he is eating a fairly high fat/heavy protein “teenager” meal for dinner and if he skips it he also needs to adjust or he will be low. I would think you might need to adjust if you are fasting and not doing protein.

Good luck with your test.

Thanks for the clarification. Have a call in to the medical ■■■’t. What’s the CDE?