Coming to terms with the reality that I will never feel well

Hi Gary< I’m new around here, but schooled in Diabetes:) so here it is Buddy, if your BS have been higher for a long time, when they do come down it can be fast, and it can feel like a low, and you will feel all the low symptoms. It is better if you can eat to your BS and try to get them down and let them be more balanced. Write down your daily BS and how you feel at the time of them, do this before you prick yourself. After a few weeks see if there really is a reason for your Strong awful feeling.

Try eating at the same time every meal, and taking your meds at the same times, and get good sleep. And make sure your hydrated to, all the time.

If all this doesn’t find a reason for you, see our Dr and ask for some tests…

Many yrs ago I was on 4 shots a day, skinny as a zipper and my BS were all over the place, I was so depressed and felt like I was dying, and with 4 kids I didn’t care if I did. That was serious… Well it came down to a Insulin change, I had been having some kind of reaction to the type of Insulin…and my world was back to normal…

So know your body and how it ticks, and if its off, see your Doctor:)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve been suffering like this for decades and something just tells me like in Karen’s case they won’t get to the bottom of it. If that be the case I will have to live in distress for the rest of my life or until they cure it. As we all know keeping a pre-meal level between 80 and 90 is about the same odds as wining the lotto with type one. Not sure how anyone with Type 1 diabetes could handle raising kids let alone willing to risk of passing it on to a sibling. I’d bet if most diabetics felt like me they’d think twice about reproducing.

Hi, Gary,
Are you sure that you are not missing a high? I used to see numbers around 100 at one hour after eating and wonder why I felt so crappy and tired all the time. Turned out I was spiking early- at about 30-40 minutes after eating- and then crashing down to 100 or below. Looked like normal numbers, and a decent A1C, but the swinging up and down was exhausting. A 200 point swing in under an hour can make you feel really terrible.
One more point- I also was slightly allergic to wheat, and once I cut that out I felt much better.

Sounds like you are struggling with some anxiety issues…I have them too and will feel “bad” or “off” and check to see if it’s my blood sugar and it will be normal so I usually know it’s anxiety.
Also, anxiety&depression go hand in hand with thyroid problems as well, not to be an echo but maybe at your next endo appt you could just have them check it to be sure.

To be honest I’m not sure whats going on in between meals and if I am lucky enough to feel fine pre-meal and post meal I try not to even think about it. I know 2hr post meal and injection you want to be around 100 at the lowest to avoid slipping to low. My dad who is also on insulin basically feels nothing at elevated sugars. He’s been up in the 300’s at times and claims he’d never know it. He feels the lows to some extent but even that isn’t bothersome to him. I’ve spoken to at least a half dozen diabetics in my area and none of them have the sensitivity or the symptoms I have from it. I’m not sure what to think anymore as I have to eat, take injections and the levels have to move. Its not any specific food or combination of foods I’ve noticed that cause it either. Its a horrible existence especially since its 24/7. For some reason my body only likes to be in the lower end of normal range from what I gather. I can only pray CUREDM will deliver the solution!

I did not have children for this reason, but now I do regret it. All these issues came for me with tighter blood sugar control. With fluctuating bloodsugars comes emotional turmoil, something that we cannot control in my opinion.

Waiting for the Cure is a little like Waiting for Godot. In the meantime, while you may never feel the same as you did before Diabetes, you should feel well a good deal of the time. Please talk to your doctor about finding a solution to the problems you’re facing. Hey, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: consider a pump and a CGM! Best luck, and don’t give up.

I am not sure though how wonderfully our peers feel either? I’m 43 and a lot of people in my cohort complain of aches, pains, fatigue, not feeling like they used to, needing to get their thyroids checked? It may be part of experience that is not necessarily related to diabetes?

Some times the “cure” is worse than the disease. I would agree with all here anxity and depression come in on your feelings along with your Thyroid get all checked and see if that helps you any. You know from almost all d ppl I’ve talked to your case seems alone. I’ve been very involved in the D community and never heard of a case like yours unless there was another condition involved in the mix

I feel like crap when my numbers get near 100 or below – it’s just the way it is I suppose. When I am exercising I can get dizzy and need to stop before I get hurt. More than once I fell over @ the gym which was not a very good thing for my ego or for those around me. I’ve been checked and rechecked. It’s just the way it is when my BG is there. I feel great @ 120 — go figure! Good luck Gary… Denise